Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Ernie Ball MVP Volume Pedal Fault - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Ernie Ball MVP Volume Pedal Fault

What's Hot
DannyPDannyP Frets: 1521
edited August 2023 in FX
This pedal has stopped passing any signal whatsoever. FYI it's slightly more sophisticated than a bog-standard vol pedal, with variable sweep and active boost.

I took it to a reliable tech and he said the fault was somewhere in the SMD-laden board and that he wasn't able to repair it. He recommended a new circuit board from Ernie Ball.

I contacted EB via their website, a couple of weeks ago but no reply. The pedal was purchased 2nd hand and I've had it for 2 years.

Not really sure what to do next. Any tips?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    This is sadly the fate of "Small Electronic Devices" these days, there is no way to repair them economically and by that I mean giving a tech a decent return on his time and overheads.
    For sure! IF EB and others made replacement boards available to "the trade" repairs could often be done to the satisfaction of both parties but they don't/wont (it was always like this in 'domestic' electronics) The fact is, AFAICT the pedal was around £200 new and that does not leave much 'meat' for a service operation.

I would try emailing EB again and if still no response, post your beef on every forum and social meeja you can find!

'We' absolutely MUST start fixing things again!!

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1521
    I totally agree @ecc83 , The treadle and casing are so robust, it would be a shame if these things get thrown away.

I always thought that if anything went t!ts on this, it would be the flimsy looking belt that turns the pot. That has always held up though.

I will try EB again to see if I can get some help. If not, the tech (the saintly Steve RaygunFX) has offered to turn it into a standard vol pedal for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Response at last - Ernie to me:

Good Afternoon Danny,

Sorry for the delay in reply, It appears this slipped through the inbox. It would be very difficult for us to ascertain what the issues with your Ernie Ball MVP are. Unfortunately, we do not offer a service centre in the UK for our pedal range.

To check the products warranty status we would require:

-Date of purchase: -Location of purchase (Shop/Retailer name): -Proof of Purchase (Screenshot or photo of receipt): Yours Sincerely, Strings and Things Ltd.
    Me to Ernie:

Hi Strings & Things,

I think you might have misunderstood me, I don’t wish to take action on a Warranty (I no longer have proof of purchase anyway).

Nor do I necessarily need a Service Centre, I have a tech who can do the repair.

I just need to buy a new circuit board as the existing one isn’t fixable owing to the SMD components.

As stated on the Ernie Ball product spec for the MVP, “the Ernie Ball MVP boasts a compact, rugged design, consisting of aircraft grade aluminum housing that is virtually indestructible.”

I can’t just be throwing all that aircraft grade aluminum in the bin, I’m sure you agree the pedal can and should be fixed!

Let me know the cost of the circuit board, thanks.

DannyP

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    Great reply to a useless customer service response. I hope you manage to get a replacement board.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    The worst case is that you could convert it to passive, but that would leave the gain pot (or just its hole) useless. Better than that, you could probably build a simple booster circuit - something like an MXR Micro Amp - on veroboard and fit that inside.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Oh I'm certain that I'll end up converting it to a passive volume pedal.

I just want to be a bit of a prick and give them a hard time about it first!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    From Ernie:

Good Afternoon Dan,

Ernie Ball has confirmed that replacement pedal modules are not available individually.

I am sorry that this is not the news you had hoped for.

All the best,

Strings and Things Ltd.

So that's that I guess.

• Piss poor. And good effort on your part to try and get it sorted and save landfill. Sorry it didn't come off on this occasion!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922