Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Sublime in the UK? - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Sublime in the UK?

What's Hot
CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
Just a casual curiosity.

I was a Southern California kid in the 90s.  Loved Sublime.  But I think their audience and influence was always pretty regional, for whatever reason.

How did Sublime land in the UK?

Especially for mid-late 90s, I feel like Sublime (and some pop punk) is about all the States had to offer.  The rest was shit grunting music and “rap rock.”  The best stuff was all British until The Strokes came along.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    edited August 2023
    I saw them at Boomtown a few years back. Obviously without the main guy. Was a high billing, lots of people. Not sure about the 90s though, I was in NZ, where they made a bug splish, as they might say
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    They’ve had a few mentions here and I saw someone in a Sublime T shirt the other day but I don’t think they ever had any major presence in the U.K. Although the late 90s were quite heavy on new country in the Weary household following MrsTheWeary’s time in Arkansas. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2863
    edited August 2023
    90s was my era... Sublime didn't make a big dent in the UK from my experience. I think I only heard about them from a Canadian friend. The Mighty, Mighty Bosstones had more of a UK impact it seemed to me, and eventually had quite a big hit song (Impression that I get), with more of a ska thing than reggae.... I don't think grungy, ravey, brit poppy 90's UK youth were receptive to the laid-back California beach thing in the early/mid 90's
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Sublime (and a bit of NOFX) had a bit of a cult stake punk following in the mid part of the decade. There was a bit of a post Nirvana pop punk marketing push before Britpop took over everything. Green Day and the Offspring etc. Sublime kind of rode the undercurrent of that wave. Twas a small thing really, a year to 18 months maybe,  and Oasis were already starting to get national attention...
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    They best America had to offer in the 90s was Kyuss and Monster Magnet.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I don't think I've ever heard of them! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    roberty said:
    I saw them at Boomtown a few years back. Obviously without the main guy. Was a high billing, lots of people. Not sure about the 90s though, I was in NZ, where they made a bug splish, as they might say
    Just looking at their discography and their sales seem to have been the USA and New Zealand and nowhere else. 

Very roughly speaking if The Red Hot Chilli Peppers had discovered reggae rather than funk and their singer (singer-guitarist in this case) had died of a heroin overdose in 1996. They were contemporaries of No Doubt so you’ll find Gwen Stefani on some of the live stuff chirruping away. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Very roughly speaking if The Red Hot Chilli Peppers had discovered reggae rather than funk and their singer (singer-guitarist in this case) had died of a heroin overdose in 1996. They were contemporaries of No Doubt so you’ll find Gwen Stefani on some of the live stuff chirruping away. 
    And if Anthony Kiedis could sing anything like Bradly Nowell.

Something, too, about the way Sublime was rooted in that LBC culture, like a garage ska punk band rooted in the working class hood scene of Southern California.  Whether they’re thrashing or it’s just Bradly on acoustic, it feels like home to me.  
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    Reverend said:
    They best America had to offer in the 90s was Kyuss and Monster Magnet.
    Ok, so I have that as Sublime in solid 3rd place.  Sounds good.

I don’t know those other bands, will check them out.