Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). So what’s with this greenback? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

So what’s with this greenback?

What's Hot
gjonesygjonesy Frets: 139
edited August 2023 in Amps
Bought a Vox 1x12 cab on eBay with a greenback in it. Thought I’d check it against @Bygone_Tones website but this is what the label says

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gfmyvhooh3qnkkl/20230803_185936.jpg?raw=1

Can anyone shed any light on whether this is any different to a standard greenie?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    Well, coming from three generations of engineers - traditionally the term 'engineering sample' was either used interchangeably with 'production prototype' or it was a component you manufactured sent for evaluation by a third party company ... say an amp or cab maker designing a new combo or enclosure might get an 'enginearing sample' from a speaker manufacturer to design their product around. Sometimes of course these 'samples' get incorporated in items that wind sold to the public.
    This is at least how I understand the term. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    It's actually a detonation device from an unmanned drone 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    roberty said:
    It's actually a detonation device from an unmanned drone 
    Devilish clever these Chinese ... and just because you are paranoid ... doesn't mean every one isn't out to get you! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited August 2023
    There's a label underneath the "engineering sample" one.  Can you read any of its text through the white sticker?  Even on the higher resolution image on drop-box it's impossible to make out, but perhaps it's visible with the naked eye.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 139
    edited August 2023
    All I can see apart from celestion is 5475 and a 50 the rest is obscured
    so maybe a G12C? it has the 53h1777 marking
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    Which cab was it? Night train? I seem to remember the promo stuff at the time said the speaker was specially voiced for the amp...
    Cirrus said:
    Which cab was it? Night train? I seem to remember the promo stuff at the time said the speaker was specially voiced for the amp...
    yes it's from a night train cab - this one in my FS post.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/251797/fs-laney-sold-peavey-1x12-cab-vox-v112nt-notts-area#latest

I'm not sure if the grille cloth is original. Any info on that would also be appreciated.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    Nah mine was just the standards kind, like this picture. It's not unlike Vox to use Union Jack designs, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a special edition or something but no clue I'm afraid.

Its no bother either way. Its going in a 2x12 with a g12h so if it sounds good in that I'll be happy.