Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fender Custom Shop Champ. Wow! - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fender Custom Shop Champ. Wow!

What's Hot
KurasKuras Frets: 49
I tried a CS champ for the first time yesterday. Such a great sound. Very transparent in terms of dynamics and took pedals really well. An inspiring sound too. 

A grand second hand though. Are the DIY champs kits as good/better or is the custom shop the best champ one can buy?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    I'd guess the best champ would be an actual one. Tweed examples would be rarer and more costly so I'd be tempted to get one from a good builder. If the Fender is the one you tried and loved, that could be the one for you.

There are many former and current Champ owners here who will give you a more informed opinion.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    edited August 2023
    Nice little amps although current price is silly (they were marginally more reasonable when I got mine). I found the single ended hum really excessive on my Custom 57 Champ to I upped the filtering and that did the trick without any material impact on sound to my ears.

It sounds particularly good used as a head into an open back 1x12 with a Greenback in it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 909
    Depends where you get the kit, I don’t think the champ has any secrets so as long as the components are good quality I think all fender have got is the right badge 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Power-BeefPower-Beef Frets: 214
    I was sorta warned against them, because of the location of the fuse, and the drama required to dig that out for changing. It's located BEHIND the input socket, or at least the one I was shown was.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Lewy said:
    Nice little amps although current price is silly (they were marginally more reasonable when I got mine). I found the single ended hum really excessive on my Custom 57 Champ to I upped the filtering and that did the trick without any material impact on sound to my ears.

It sounds particularly good used as a head into an open back 1x12 with a Greenback in it.
    My original ‘59 Champ sounded incredible into an old Marshall 4x12” with Greenbacks (wired all-parallel for 4 ohms) - like Neil Young at marginally more usable volume :).

I’m not a huge fan of the 8” speaker, I have to say - it’s nice as a clean sound at home volume but becomes very nasal and one-tone no matter what guitar you put through it when it’s cranked up. Much better in a bigger cabinet with a 12” speaker, then it becomes the opposite, very responsive to guitar differences.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson