Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). PSA: Acoustic guitar documentary. - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

PSA: Acoustic guitar documentary.

What's Hot
KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
Heirloom: Guitar.

Prime Video.
History of the acoustic steel string. No great revelations, nothing you probably haven't heard before but worth a hour of your time if you're into acoustics.

Contributions from Bryan Sutton, George Gruhn and others.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Oooh thanks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PCT57PCT57 Frets: 26
    I'll check this out. Thanks.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    Kilgore said:

Prime Video.
    History of the acoustic steel string. No great revelations, nothing you probably haven't heard before but worth a hour of your time if you're into acoustics.

Does it have anything about the origin of the 12 string acoustic guitar? 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    Kilgore said:

Prime Video.

No. It's mostly about the development of different genres of acoustic guitar music. As I said nothing new but if you've got an hour to kill, worth a look.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    Kilgore said:
    Kilgore said:

Prime Video.

No. It's mostly about the development of different genres of acoustic guitar music. As I said nothing new but if you've got an hour to kill, worth a look.
    I get you! I thought it was the 'other' history of the acoustic guitar!  
  • I just watched it, enjoyed it. Gotta be worth just for the Bryan Sutton segments and the final play out
  • Ooh thanks - will watch!
  • Worse ways to spend an hour. Thanks for that.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    Thank you muchly. :-)
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    edited August 2023
    Just watched. Very good.

Had never really appreciated that the dominance of X-bracing was due to the increased ability to withstand greater tension of steel strings compared with nylon (gut). I always thought the response to that had been thicker tops and that X-bracing was a just a thing that had arrived about the same time as steel stringed instruments became more popular - and was easier to do than ladder bracing.

Never knew that Afro-American musicians in the US in the 1920's and 30's turned away from the banjo (an African instrument, sort of) because of the less than respectful racial profiling which was going on at that time associating the banjo with Afro-Americans. Had often wondered why they were such enthusiastic and widespread 'early-adopters' of what must back then have been a relatively new instrument. Especially in the southern states and Piedmont areas. Thank heavens they did because without that we might not have had the Blues. Maybe. Its faded now a bit now, but the structure of Blues music has been so influential.

Also, interesting conceptual thinking describing the extent to which the acoustic guitar is populating the entire space of the internet/social media currently, especially during lockdown. Programme describes this as the 'second golden age' for the acoustic. Because, I suppose, that everyone now has access to everyone else, accessible recording and good cheap instruments. 

Programme states that the reason for the downturn in Martin sales in the 1970's was because of disco. Not my recollection at all. As I recall we were just playing different (cheaper) acoustics. So a bit like now then!

Thanks again @Kilgore ;