Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Revisiting FX: Hologram Microcosm Edition - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Revisiting FX: Hologram Microcosm Edition

What's Hot
stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 147
edited August 2023 in FX
As soon as I plugged it in I remembered why I sold it over a year ago. The noise, the hiss, the incessant bag of snakes itching to escape back into the jungle.

Tried it with my supro amulet and fender supersonic...hisssssss

I then unplugged it and tried a different power supply thinking something was wrong with the psu, no bueno. 

So now, I have it plugged into the fx loop on the supro blues king which has suppressed the noise as it's no longer being boosted by the preamp but I was hoping to use it with some of my other amps.

Anyway, here I am revisiting one of the most expensive pedals on the market that has a serious glaring issue that renders it almost useless unless you have an amp with an fx loop. At least I remember why I originally sold it.

You would have thought that something like this would have been sorted out by now.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086

I feel your pain :)

I have a V1 Chase Bliss Spectre which 1) cost me a LOT of money and 2) is annoyingly hissy.

I've tried all sorts of things but have now resigned myself to putting it up for sale.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    The SDD-3000, which now commands more second hand than it cost new, is also pretty hissy.

To be honest, a bit of white noise doesn't bother me. Plenty of great recordings have audible hiss, I rarely notice or care if I do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    To be fair, my Microcosm wasnt noisy at all…

Unfathomable, yes, but not noisy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • yeah mine wasn't noisy i just found it samey and a bit too fiddly to keep
  • Credit card says thanks for the info
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SunburstSunburst Frets: 96
    That's interesting to hear. I've had a Microcosm for about 6 months and have had no issues with hiss. However, I find it frustratingly inconsistent in how much it actually responds / generates when in use. I've read somewhere that it likes a really strong input signal, but it's 8th in a 10 pedal chain with 2 buffered pedals ahead of it. For some reason, it loves my Jaguar and Strat and creates all sorts of weird beauty when I'm playing those, but it's pretty lifeless and generates much less when I'm playing my humbucker or P90 equipped guitars. I would have imagined it would've been the other way round!
  • Sunburst said:
    That's interesting to hear. I've had a Microcosm for about 6 months and have had no issues with hiss. However, I find it frustratingly inconsistent in how much it actually responds / generates when in use. I've read somewhere that it likes a really strong input signal, but it's 8th in a 10 pedal chain with 2 buffered pedals ahead of it. For some reason, it loves my Jaguar and Strat and creates all sorts of weird beauty when I'm playing those, but it's pretty lifeless and generates much less when I'm playing my humbucker or P90 equipped guitars. I would have imagined it would've been the other way round!
    What amp are you using it with? Are you using it in an fx loop or into an audio interface?
    Sunburst said:
    What amp are you using it with? Are you using it in an fx loop or into an audio interface?
    It sits in the loop of my Brunetti Singleman 15. I have a buffered pedal first in the chain of the pedals in front of the amp and another first in the chain of those in the effects loop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Sunburst said:
    Sunburst said:
    It sits in the loop of my Brunetti Singleman 15. I have a buffered pedal first in the chain of the pedals in front of the amp and another first in the chain of those in the effects loop.
    I've put it in the supro blues king fx loop, seems to work fine there and the noise is pretty much negated. 

Also that Brunetti Singleman looks and sound incredible! 
    Sunburst said:
    Sunburst said:
    I've put it in the supro blues king fx loop, seems to work fine there and the noise is pretty much negated. 

Also that Brunetti Singleman looks and sound incredible! 
    The amp certainly sounds and looks great to me! 

I've had a fiddle with the Microcosm; turning up the activity and repeats knobs has helped a lot. I'm very happy with it now, with all my guitars.