Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Sunn Amps make a come back! - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Sunn Amps make a come back!

What's Hot

https://www.sunnamps.com

Looking forward to seeing some Doomy demos of these; but price point is a bit steep! Especially for only 65w tube output!

Hopefully they are on the resellers market in a few years and I can have a play! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Because 65W isn't enough to make us deaf?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    $3199 for the guitar and bass valve heads.

The $799 for a solid state bass amp that weighs 26lb and only has 100W?

No chance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    $3199 for the guitar and bass valve heads.

The $799 for a solid state bass amp that weighs 26lb and only has 100W?

No chance.

The prices are ridiculous.  Class D power section for the SS amp heads. 

$3.2k for the valve heads.

The popularity of Sunn O))) and other doom bands and the impact on Sunn amps has got a bit silly now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 807
    edited August 2023
    It says the Chief Research Officer's name is -

Fess Semenikhin

;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Those prices are mad. Circuit is pretty simple.and only 4 knobs no reverb or anything complicated. 

If anyone wants a 100s I'll build it at well under half that price ...  :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1506
    If you want a more powerful version of the Beta Head, just go for Hilbish. More tolex options too.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    In 15 years of dealing with amp part and kits I have never been asked for anything to do with Sunn Amps, creating replicas etc.
    I don't think there there is a realistic demand large enough to sustain an independent company.
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    In 15 years of dealing with amp part and kits I have never been asked for anything to do with Sunn Amps, creating replicas etc.
    I don't think there there is a realistic demand large enough to sustain an independent company.
    Agreed. Nobody has ever asked me to build one either. Countless 5e3 variations, Champs, Classic Marshall and Vox but never a single mention of Sunn ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    edited August 2023
    Are Sunn still owned by Fender?

EDIT: Is the Sunn trademark still owned by Fender....?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • In 15 years of dealing with amp part and kits I have never been asked for anything to do with Sunn Amps, creating replicas etc.
    Agreed. Nobody has ever asked me to build one either. Countless 5e3 variations, Champs, Classic Marshall and Vox but never a single mention of Sunn ...
    Not even a Model T? I'd love one of those... 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1189
    I’m thinking it’s probably an American thing, and that the people over here who’d otherwise be shopping for a Model T or whatever are looking at the big beasts from Hiwatt, Matamp or Orange…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    edited August 2023
    impmann said:
    Are Sunn still owned by Fender?

EDIT: Is the Sunn trademark still owned by Fender....?
    The logo is a registered trade mark of Fender for the UK at least.

<edit> They say on the website that the intellectual property is owned by FMIC, who have licensed it to this new company.
  • Its going to be a tough sell, I imagine most of 'pedalboards of doom' on facebook will hanker for one, but the prices are insane considering what they are, close to Two Rock pricing, but most doomers probably arn't Doctors/Dentists... although i'm making some sweeping statements!

In UK i'd rather chase a Orange Dual Dark or Matamp GT120 etc rather than these!
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    Do you think you could make smaller/lesser powerful version of a Sunn Model T? I read a bit about this amp and it's supposed to be loosely based on a Marshall Super Bass, but a bit darker and with 4 KT88's in the power amp.

I know there is a fella who makes Model T repros (378) and has a waiting list for his amps.  I've come across a few others who make them as well, but they are never cheap.

There are loads of Model T repros in a box, lots of people are after the Life Pedals too.  Sunn O))) have a lot of fans.
  • JamesSGBrownJamesSGBrown Frets: 202
    edited August 2023
    Its going to be a tough sell, I imagine most of 'pedalboards of doom' on facebook will hanker for one, but the prices are insane considering what they are, close to Two Rock pricing, but most doomers probably arn't Doctors/Dentists... although i'm making some sweeping statements!

In UK i'd rather chase a Orange Dual Dark or Matamp GT120 etc rather than these!
    I’m in a band that plays with a lot of doom and stoner bands and trust me- there’s some insane gear being used- definitely the ones that actually get out there aren’t just lazy stoner types to be affording Travis Beans, Ric basses, Matamp stacks etc!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Its going to be a tough sell, I imagine most of 'pedalboards of doom' on facebook will hanker for one, but the prices are insane considering what they are, close to Two Rock pricing, but most doomers probably arn't Doctors/Dentists... although i'm making some sweeping statements!

Youd need a decent back up if using matamp, in my experience.
    weirdly, I know more Sunn users personally, than Vox.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    edited August 2023

I’m in a band that plays with a lot of doom and stoner bands and trust me- there’s some insane gear being used- definitely the ones that actually get out there aren’t just lazy stoner types to be affording Travis Beans, Ric basses, Matamp stacks etc!
    In agreement with this.

Most doom/stoner/drone/post rock bands are labelled as big weed heads (no judgement either way) but most of the scene I've listened to is bands with insane talent (more from a creative/song writing point of view) and amazing gear.

Boris/Sunn O etc.

BIG BIG sounds. Vintage equipment and modern combined with a ridiculous backline of amps live. Great basses/guitars.

Wata from Boris - amazing musician. 

Those Sunn amps? Too expensive. In the UK, go Matamp or Orange. 

In agreement with this.

Most doom/stoner/drone/post rock bands are labelled as big weed heads (no judgement either way) but most of the scene I've listened to is bands with insane talent (more from a creative/song writing point of view) and amazing gear.

Boris/Sunn O etc.

BIG BIG sounds. Vintage equipment and modern combined with a ridiculous backline of amps live. Great basses/guitars.

Wata from Boris - amazing musician. 

Those Sunn amps? Too expensive. In the UK, go Matamp or Orange. 

I'd say go Laney. Victor Griffin's rider spec'd Model Ts or Laney GH100Ls.

But really, Marshall 2203 is the king for doom. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 353
    You'll not get many of these in the back of a Fiesta. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L7lYLTSPF4
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    RickLucas said:
    You'll not get many of these in the back of a Fiesta. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L7lYLTSPF4
    Yeah... but what a sound. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I'd never heard of Sunn amps - to me Sunn means cheap Fender-style basses.  And I'm quite a fan of that sort of fuzzy blues-rock as in the video above.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    Was quite excited about these til I saw the price. The Beta Lead sounds great for sludgy stoner stuff. But for that money I'd rather just get one of the many preamp pedals into a power amp, or look for a used original one.
  • Here comes the Sunn.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    I'd never heard of Sunn amps - to me Sunn means cheap Fender-style basses.  And I'm quite a fan of that sort of fuzzy blues-rock as in the video above.
    My only knowledge of them is that Jimi Hendrix signed an ill-advised exclusive contract with them in around 1968 and had to hide his Marshall heads behind Sunn cabinets because he hated the Sunn amps so much. 
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I associate them with obscure bands like The Who. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    How different can they be from all the hundreds of other amps on the market - apart from the price?