Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Rotary vs Univibe and small options? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Rotary vs Univibe and small options?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
edited August 2023 in FX
As titled - looking at options for something swirly for the gigging pedalboard. Ideally the size of a standard MXR or thereabouts. 

First... what is the practical difference between Rotary and Univibe? I understand the history (actual Leslie speakers, univibe trying to copy them but failing but still being great, then better rotary pedals popping up later), but how does that translate to pedal sounds I can buy now?! 

I had an MXR Univibe a few years ago and quite enjoyed that, and I have a Small Stone which is ace but is a phaser. I'm aware of the Micro Vents as TPS-Mick has used often in their vids. I also keep seeing the Grobert Lux Vibe on YouTube and that looks ace but is a little big when I'm meant to play bass most of the time.

Any wisdom, guidance etc is very welcome. Also any key records to reference for each of them?
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Univibe sounds like this in my head:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ...and rotary (at 1:07):

• I got a Mini Vent II. For me, rotary has to be used ramping between the different speeds...that's where the magic is ;)
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 779
    edited August 2023
    I love leslie and phaser on records.
    Unlike Digitalkettle I’m not as fussed (although it is great ) of the ramping between speeds but I love the slow speeds.
    Listen to Barnstorm by Joe Walsh or Diamonds and Debris by Cry Of Love for something more modern.

I now have the micro vent but the Lex is good too.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • Focusing on 'MXR sized' I doubt you can go wrong with the Micro Vent. For non-rotary swirls, Skreddy Swirl? Mint Green Mini Vibe?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 505
    Try a Digitech Ventura Vibe. Does rotary and univibe and a third option.  Ram up available by holding down the foot switch. Has level, drive, mix, tone and depth.  Love mine. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 733
    edited August 2023
    I've had a Neo Mini Vent II on my board for years. For guitar tones, I use it for chorus and tremelo (when I'm not playing an amp that has tremelo), but mostly I use it with an EHX C9 for organ emulation. I think it's the best, reasonably compact, Leslie emulator out there. It'll do stereo too which is awesome with two amps, but I don't use stereo playing live.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    I like the JHS Univibe pedal, the blue one with the unicorn on it.  Sufficiently trippy.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    The Neo stuff is brilliant. I have a mini Vent and a full fat Ventilator 2 which is awesome as it is huge.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    When I had a Lex I loved the ramping - and definitely over used it just cos I loved hearing it :-) 

Lately I’ve been using the JHS Emperor (which is neither of the things you’re asking about) because when you tap in a fast tempo it sounds swirly and somewhat rotary, and when you tap a slow tempo it’s more of a general slow modulation.

I’d definitely try a Vent though if I could 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Ta - will do some listening. 

I'm guessing the HX already has both sounds built in so I should probably start there before I do anything else. 

My instinct is the Univibe is what I want but all the best regarded ones of those seem to come in big boxes :( 
  • My instinct is the Univibe is what I want but all the best regarded ones of those seem to come in big boxes :( 
    The Vibe Machine is not to be sniffed at.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited August 2023
    My instinct is the Univibe is what I want but all the best regarded ones of those seem to come in big boxes  
    The Vibe Machine is not to be sniffed at.
    Yeah I saw that but haven't watched any vids yet. I like that you can add a rate control via tap or expression if you want

EDIT: ok the first 40 seconds of the Pete Thorn vid are inevitably incredible...

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    The vibe machine 3 can do a decent Leslie impression with the ramping via an expression pedal or tap switch. 

Its univibe tones are good enough for a few songs in a set but not in my opinion on the tier of the big box units if it is a core part of your sound. 

It's very tweakable but this is a curse more than a blessing because you always think you can make it sounder better then you tweak then you lose your settings then you spend an age just getting back to those settings. 

I just sold my third one (had 2x V3s and previously a.v2) as I kept on thinking I had the solution for its use. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • I know you can't trust Wikipedia, but it does say on the Uni-Vibe entry there that the whole 'trying to sound like a Leslie' thing is a myth.

Which would explain why a Uni-Vibe sounds absolutely shit-all like a Leslie.
    Dickie's 90-Second Pedal Demos: youtube.com/c/Dickies90SecondPedalDemos /// guitar.com reviews: guitar.com/author/richard-purvis/
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I know you can't trust Wikipedia, but it does say on the Uni-Vibe entry there that the whole 'trying to sound like a Leslie' thing is a myth.

Which would explain why a Uni-Vibe sounds absolutely shit-all like a Leslie.
    The story goes the Japanese inventor wanted something that approximated the sound of medium wave radio fading in and out of reception
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1602
    Lex sounds fab in stereo set slow

• Love the Jam Retrovibe, can’t remember whether it was the Mk2 or Mk3 I tried, but my favourite univibe. 

Rotary-wise, I’ve heard the new V2 Strymon Lex is excellent.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1513
    Love the Jam Retrovibe, can’t remember whether it was the Mk2 or Mk3 I tried, but my favourite univibe. 

Rotary-wise, I’ve heard the new V2 Strymon Lex is excellent.

Wouldn’t matter, they both sound exactly the same. The difference is in the footswitch and expression pedal compatibility…

The Retrovibe is a fab vibe and compact too. One of my favourites, although I’m currently using the (huge) Gypsy Vibe. 
  • NickBNickB Frets: 156
    In all honesty I think the HX Stomp will cover your needs. Especially as it has the effects loop so you can put your drives before the vibe. With the HX rotary settings I find them too bass heavy and use the 10 band eq block to make them more usable. 
  • FezFez Frets: 472
    I quite like the TC Viscous vibe sounds close and the toneprints give you loads of options though TBH I just use the stock setting. Small footprint and won't break the bank.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 303
    The Strymon Lex V2 sounds awesome and I really enjoyed playing with it has s lot of options too, the size is medium general Strymon size thought.
  • The best Vibe I've used for the Trower sound is a Fulltone Deja Vibe in front of an overdrive, but they're expensive, large and heavy. The TC Viscous Vibe on a Plethora was pretty good, so I'd expect the stand-alone pedal to be at least as good. I like the Vibe on my Mobius but haven't managed to dial in a decent Trower sound with it (and my own songs don't need a Vibe, so I'm not stressing about it). I seem to remember the Vibe on an HX Effects being pretty decent, too. But if you can afford the money and boardspace for a Deja Vibe...... ;-) 
  • Lovepedal Magicboy/Pickle Vibe for a tiny Univibe.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    Lovepedal Magicboy/Pickle Vibe for a tiny Univibe.
    I’ve got a pickle vibe I need to sell on if anyone is interested 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    Lovepedal Magicboy/Pickle Vibe for a tiny Univibe.
    I’ve got a pickle vibe I need to sell on if anyone is interested 
    May very well fancy this :)