Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Is there such a product? Two board signal routing. - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Is there such a product? Two board signal routing.

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
I had a bit of a mad idea in the shower. 

My gigging board is a Nano+
It has a simple signal path

SA Spectrum Envelope Filter
EBS BS Ultimate Drive
Boss BC-1X compressor
Boss OC-5 Octave
Boss EQ-200
SFX Micro Thumpinator HPF.

It's small and easy to carry.

I am in the process of building a large board that I won't be taking anywhere - strictly home noise fun. It will have a lot of other pedals on it. My original plan was to take apart the Nano+ and stick everything on the big board. But despite me leaving my band I might want to go out and play sometimes.

I don't have any duplicates of the pedals, and I really cannot be arsed to continually remove and replace pedals.

So I started to think about 2 boards with the Nano+ being the core and the bigger one being the fun stuff. The problem is that the fun stuff cannot just come before or after the Nano+ so I can't just have a simple connection between the 2 when I want it all. There are some pedals I would want before the Nano and some would be slotted into the Nano chain. The EQ200 and the Thumpinator would always be last. But I would want somethings after the Octave, and some things before it but after the drive.

So is there some sort of patch box that uses socket switching to achieve this? 

So on the Nano+ each pedal is plugged into the magic box and when it is used alone it allows the signal to go straight through as normal. But if other cables were plugged into the magic box connecting the larger board that new pedals are slotted into the right place? Probably another magic box on the big board and then a multi-core between them?

Is there anything at all designed for use with 2 boards in this way?

I suppose it sounds a bit like a pair of Boss ES-8 but being linked together so both units can see all the loops when they are together. But I don't need a switcher unit and I don't need to change the signal chain order.

Any ideas?

Or is this a "lay off the disco sweeties" type idea?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited August 2023
    I've thought about this a few times but never quite done anything with it. The closest I've ever found would be a passive insert loop using switching jacks

Basically you'd have 4 jacks in a box - In/Out and Send/Return. In/Out would be connected at the insert point to your primary pedalboard, and Send/Return would be switching jacks to route signal through the loop out to some other pedals(s) when connected. Basically like a loop switcher but without the switch, and you could use more than one as & where needed

I've never quite had a strong enough use-case to build any, but someone like Bright Onion could do it easily I'm sure (if they don't already)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    The closest I've ever found would be a passive insert loop using switching jacks
    Yup. Basically a normalled patchbay in a pedal board-friendly format. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    I'm not sure if it's sophisticated enough to do quite what you want, but:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/251117/fs-mxr-smart-gate-bright-onion-shifter-switch-patch-box
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Probably shouldn't be taking your pedalboard into the shower tbh
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm not sure if it's sophisticated enough to do quite what you want, but:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/251117/fs-mxr-smart-gate-bright-onion-shifter-switch-patch-box
    That's what came to mind for me...I use one on my gigging board mostly for cable management...might need a couple for this though!
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 161
    I have made something similar that allowed me to use a single board or two boards. I used a multicore cable connected by computer serial plugs. The sockets were built into metal Hammond boxes which also had multiple 1/4" jack ins and outs and a few switches to re-route the signal.

I don't think it was quite as complex as what you are after, but it was complex enough!

If I remember rightly, the main board had some pedals which went in front of the amp and some in the effects loop. The extra cable and switches allowed more effects in the loop and more in front too. I think I had 9V power going through the cables to power the other board.

There was also another multicore connected to 7 pin XLR plugs which went between one box on the pedal board and another which was permanently attached to the amp. The amp box had cables going in and out of the effects loop and into the front of the amp. This meant only 1 cable was needed between boards and amp. I think the same cable could be used to switch channels too but can't remember!
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 833

Yes.
  • Gulliver said:

Yes.
    Bzzzzzz...repetition!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    I have a board with a GigRig Quartermaster loop switcher and one of the loops can be used to run to a second board. 
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2109
    I have this signal blender.  https://oldbloodnoise.com/pedals/p/signal-blender

I don’t make the best use of it, but basically I use it as you describe.  I have one amp that I prefer to use for only clean, ambient or synth kinda stuff.  So after the main buffer (wah, envelope, compressor, tuner) pedals, the blender sends one signal back to the clean amp and another into the pre-amp drive pedals that push a different amp.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    Could an EQD Swiss Things be part of the solution? 
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Gulliver said:

Yes.
    Bzzzzzz...repetition!
    And it doesn't do what I want.

I don't want to have to change a single patch cable when connecting the 2 boards together even though some of the pedal order will have changed.
    This is exactly the sort of thing I built most when I did MonkeyFX. I've still got all the bits to do it. If you can do a little drawing of each pedal board and how they connect I can work it out. 
    Sporky said:
    This is exactly the sort of thing I built most when I did MonkeyFX. I've still got all the bits to do it. If you can do a little drawing of each pedal board and how they connect I can work it out. 
    I'll have a go at that on the weekend!
    Coolio. Doesn't need to be fancy, just show how the Nano gets broken into bits, and where the bits slot into the big board.

Does the big board get used without the Nano? 
  • Sporky said:
    MonkeyFX is back!!!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11229
    It sounds like a reverse of my big board.

Basically, there is a straight through signal if I just use in cable in and 1 cable out, but the right side of the board (Volume pedal and everything to its right) can be "detached" and put in the front of the amp, and then the left side can be "pulled" and put into the Effects Loop of the amp.  All done with a little patch box inside the board.

I guess you will need a box like this in one of the boards, so you can blend in the other pedalboard into the "larger" one.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sporky said:
    Coolio. Doesn't need to be fancy, just show how the Nano gets broken into bits, and where the bits slot into the big board.

Does the big board get used without the Nano? 
    I'm hoping to not use the big board without the Nano.

Nano for sensible gigging stuff. Big board for home + wine + kebab fun.
    Even better.

I don't like the multicore thing much though. Better with normal (or TRS) jacks where it can switch based on how it's plugged in. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter