Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Paul Reubens - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Paul Reubens

What's Hot
FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
Paul Reubens, US actor best known for playing his comic creation, PeeWee Herman, died from cancer, aged 70.
Be seeing you.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    A somewhat sexually eccentric guy who didn't do a lot wrong but was jumped on by a rabid right wing US media which derailed his career for a decade.  I wasn't a fan of Pee Wee Herman but he was brilliant in Mystery Men (what a film) and Blow too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Pee wee Herman was such a mad character! I came across him by chance with the film Pee Wee's Big Adventure, it's a nutty film and I really enjoyed it, seen it several times.

It's a shame that his career was blighted by one moment of madness.  In terms of awards he had 6 wins and 23 nominations, so he was clearly pretty good.

Posted on his FB account:
    Last night we said farewell to Paul Reubens, an iconic American actor, comedian, writer and producer whose beloved character Pee-wee Herman delighted generations of children and adults with his positivity, whimsy and belief in the importance of kindness. Paul bravely and privately fought cancer for years with his trademark tenacity and wit. A gifted and prolific talent, he will forever live in the comedy pantheon and in our hearts as a treasured friend and man of remarkable character and generosity of spirit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited August 2023
    I was very sad to hear about this.

I absolutely loved Pee-wee's Big Adventure (let's not forget that it launched the directing career of Tim Burton).  I've got the box set of the Pee-wee's Playhouse TV series as well.  He was a talented guy who invented a great comic character and also gave some pretty decent acting performances in other projects.

No doubt he was was eccentric but reading the news stories yesterday, it seems he was also a nice and considerate man who was absolutely loved by his friends.  It's a shame there's always going to be a bit of a shadow over his memory.

RIP