Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Does solder 'go off'? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Does solder 'go off'?

What's Hot
I've decided to make my own patch cables for my pedalboard. I haven't made any cables since 1999 and still have a roll of solder from back then. I was wondering if it is still ok to use? Reason I ask is that when I was looking at recommended equipment on I think a Vertex video they recommended Kester solder and I noticed it had a date of manufacture on it with a 'warranty date' three years afterwards. So was wondering if it degrades somehow after time?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    give it a go and see how it melts. 

Chances are it will have more lead and easier to use than modern stuff.  It's flux might have dried up, but the metal content won't have changed too much.  keep a tin of new flux nearby
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    I’m using some solder that I found whilst clearing my father’s workshop I suspect it dates from a teenage electronics interest I briefly had; I’ll be 60 this year and nobody’s died and nothing’s exploded. 

However I suspect more modern solder is lead free and generally better for the environment. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 256
    WezV said:
    give it a go and see how it melts. 

Chances are it will have more lead and easier to use than modern stuff.  It's flux might have dried up, but the metal content won't have changed too much.  keep a tin of new flux nearby
    Yes I haven't got any cable or plugs yet so I haven't tried it. I had no idea about flux so just watched a video clip about it. If it comes to having to buy flux because it has dried up in mine then I might just get some fresh solder!

drofluf said:
    However I suspect more modern solder is lead free and generally better for the environment. 
    Yes from what I've read the lead free solder has a higher melting temperature so the leaded solder is more suited for making instrument cables. I'm pretty sure my old solder would be the leaded type.
  • DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 784
    edited July 2023
    I've got a reel of flux-cored 60/40 solder I must have bought in the late '80s (yes it was a bit overkill for the amount I get through - I was an electronics student at the time but ended up going into software instead, which doesn't use much solder!, so it'll probably see me out I reckon now I'm only doing the occasional electrical project)

I've not been aware of any change in its properties, so I would say "no".
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    No - that's gunpowder!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Leaded and unleaded solder with flux has a shelf life, 2 or 3 years maybe. You can use after that but I wouldn't as the small amount you need cost less than £4 

Use this https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d03349/solder-wire-sn60-pb40-1-2mm-50g/dp/SD02301?st=60 /40 solder
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969 said:
    Leaded and unleaded solder with flux has a shelf life, 2 or 3 years maybe.
    Interesting... I thought the flux would be the only reason it could "go off", but as I said I haven't noticed my 30+ year old flux-cored stuff performing any less well.  Perhaps I've just got used to it and if I bought some more it would be a revelation!

I've got an ancient tin of flux as well that was my dad's - and possibly came from his dad. That still works well.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Danny1969 said:
    Leaded and unleaded solder with flux has a shelf life, 2 or 3 years maybe.
    Interesting... I thought the flux would be the only reason it could "go off", but as I said I haven't noticed my 30+ year old flux-cored stuff performing any less well.  Perhaps I've just got used to it and if I bought some more it would be a revelation!

I've got an ancient tin of flux as well that was my dad's - and possibly came from his dad. That still works well.
    It probably is fine to be fair but I wouldn't use it because some of the stuff I do, like resoldering chips on Macbook motherboards is very demanding of the solder, there's so little contact area the solder joints need to be perfect. For cables the area contact is massive in comparison so the solder wouldn't need to be so perfect. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • @Danny1969 I've never got into doing modern micro SMT stuff. Everything I do is traditional electronic components with wires, and the odd DIP-type IC - so basically rarely anything smaller than veroboard scale.  And the odd bit of guitar or car wiring.  As you say, probably rather less solder-quality-critical than what you're tackling :)
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 256
    You know what my soldering skills are rudimentary at best and I could do with making things as easy for myself as possible-  I'm going to treat myself to some fresh stuff. Thanks for the link @Danny1969 ;
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    Danny1969 said:
    Leaded and unleaded solder with flux has a shelf life, 2 or 3 years maybe. You can use after that but I wouldn't as the small amount you need cost less than £4 

Use this https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d03349/solder-wire-sn60-pb40-1-2mm-50g/dp/SD02301?st=60 /40 solder
    Interesting - I've never heard of solder (or flux) having a shelf life... some of the leaded stuff we have for pre-RoHS repairs is getting on for 15 years old and still seems fine. I'm fairly sure that the rolls I rescued from previous employers when then they closed are getting on for 20 years old now and they seem OK.  I have my dad's *tin* of solder flux that I think maybe older than me (and I'm 52), and yes some of the top of it has crystals in it, but the paste is still, er... pastey and I used it for a job last year without any issue.

Too much is made of shelf lifes IMHO, as its a nice, easy way of getting folks to consume more - I think this image sums up my thoughts:

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 103
    I still have lead solder from when I was an apprentice in 1979, it still works just fine.

I have some lead free from 80's and that seems to have oxidised on the outside (but it was crap when it was new anyway)