Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Freight forwarding - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Freight forwarding

Has anybody ever used a freight forwarding company for shops abroad that don't shop to UK? 

So the shop sends item to freight forwarding company which then sends on to UK.... 

Pros/cons? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited July 2023
    I haven't used one to get goods into the UK, but I use Aramex's ShopandShip to get stuff from all over the place to me in Abu Dhabi. They're excellent, including sorting out refunds when anything in their custody goes wrong or missing. Things usually arrive within a week and costs are fairly reasonable, at least in this direction.

https://shopandship.com/
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    edited July 2023
    Hmmm interesting! 
    I assume all freight is shipped as opposed to sent in the hold of some plane.
    Awful to think of an acoustic sitting in sub-zero temps but I guess that's how it is done. 
    I guess also that you still have to pay duty etc, it's just that the freight forwarding allows the shipment whereas a store wont. 
    (Not sure if going to do this, if best to tell said company you are going to use that service so they pack it extra well... they can't deny the sale, right...)

So the above - I will check it out - but do you have to get separate insurance or is it covered?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Hmmm interesting! 
    I assume all freight is shipped as opposed to sent in the hold of some plane.
    Awful to think of an acoustic sitting in sub-zero temps but I guess that's how it is done. 
    I guess also that you still have to pay duty etc, it's just that the freight forwarding allows the shipment whereas a store wont. 
    (Not sure if going to do this, if best to tell said company you are going to use that service so they pack it extra well... they can't deny the sale, right...)

So the above - I will check it out - but do you have to get separate insurance or is it covered?
    Aramex definitely fly things - most of their addresses are next to airports (LHR, JFK, DXB etc) and I've had things arrive very in 4 days from the US sometimes. It's very impressive. 

You def have to pay duty & taxes on arrival. I have direct paypal payments setup so they just take what I owe when the time comes. I'm guessing that would get expensive coming into the UK, especially as you also pay the local sales tax/VAT in the source country because the first bit of shipping from the seller is domestic only. 

Also worth noting it's relatively more expensive for heavier stuff as they charge entirely by weight.  I'd have to check their terms for insurance. I've never used them for a whole guitar, and especially an acoustic, but I think they would cover any damage. They've paid out for things that have gone missing before - no questions asked once I provided an invoice showing what I'd paid and for what 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    Thank you, sir!
    I will check into this after work...