Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Can I use this 'guitar' amp and cab to play bass with? - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Can I use this 'guitar' amp and cab to play bass with?

lukedlblukedlb Frets: 486
The plan is to practice with a drummer and the only piece of equipment I don't have in the house is a dedicated bass amp. However, I have 4 guitar amps, one of which 'should' be suitable to play bass with. I use a Kelly Soundmaster amp from the 60s, which is similar to a Selmer Treble & Bass, to play bass through an ox box into the computer. It's time I give it a proper go in the real world, aiming to play The Meters / MGs. I have 4 'guitar' cabs, one of which I think should do the trick: it's a small 1x12 Zilla Fatboy cab that I've swapped out the baffle with a 15" and mounted a 15" Peavey Black Widow super structure speaker (8ohm).
Should this do the trick?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    The 15" loudspeaker should cope with the amp power and low frequencies. The EQ control centre frequencies might not suit bass guitar especially well. Simple treble and bass tone controls may actually prove more serviceable than Treble/Middle/Bass.

Just don't turn up too loud.

If your rehearsal venue has a full range P.A., it might be wiser to play through that via a D.I. stage box. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    It should be fine even if you turn it up loud - the Black Widow is purposely designed as a bass driver for bass or PA, and it's rated at 300W or 350W depending on the series, so there's no chance you could blow it by power alone even with the amp fully overdriven. It's unlikely to be possible to overdrive the cone either, even in an open-back cab and certainly not in a closed one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 486
    Thank you @Funkfingers and @ICBM for your input. The kelly amp is 60 watt and I got the Black Widow to see if I could get a full frequency from my Redplate amp: that and then some.
  • Practicing Playing with a drummer You will probably be tempted to turn it up to be heard.
    Just be very careful.
  • As a bass player (not a guitarist) the amp will be fine. The cab you’re taking a risk with. Typically bass and open back cabs isn’t a great idea, what’s the xMax on the drivers? 

Is there a PA wherever you are practicing? A ported PA speaker or wedge or something will likely have more lower low-end roll off and less likely to have a risk damage. (Just noticed I’m not the first to suggest this!)