Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fryette Power Station Owners - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fryette Power Station Owners

blacknblackblacknblack Frets: 37
A couple of questions ... What are your experiences of using?  Is it the best attenuator out there?   Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    Former owner … I think they are really excellent and such a versatile piece of kit, but used at very low volumes, the fan noise can feel intrusive so factor that into your decision making if you’re planning to do that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    Seems to come up quite a lot...here's the most recent thread that I commented on:
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/250977/wtb-fryette-ps-2

It's not an attenuator, per se...the PS-2 is a clean 50w amp which acts as a 'slave' for your main amp.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 242
    Don’t know if it’s the best out there but it works well for me. I use mine to tame my Laney LA30BL, boost my Mesa studio 22 (gives it a lot more ‘beef’), I’ve run my ampmaker 5w champ clone through it at gig volume and also use it as a power amp for my helix. It does all this incredibly well. 

• It's certainly the best I've tried. My PS-2A faithfully reproduces what my amps sound like at full tilt. The addition of a line out, loop, impedance matching, resonance and presence controls, etc. adds a lot of value too. 

On the fan, I stopped noticing it after a while. Plus, if you want to play so quietly that a fan would intrude, you have the option of running the line out to IRs and studio monitors/headphones. The Power Station doesn't need to be powered for that use case, so no fan. 
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
    Lewy said:
    Former owner … I think they are really excellent and such a versatile piece of kit, but used at very low volumes, the fan noise can feel intrusive so factor that into your decision making if you’re planning to do that. 
    This - the fan noise was intrusive at low volumes.

My Sequis Elemental does an equally good job - and it is silent.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1506
    I use mine purely as a power amp for my Quad Cortex.

There is the instant fan noise as soon as you switch it on, but in a rehearsal/onstage that is never an issue.

It’s a superb bit of kit and one I see keeping for a very long time. Not used it as an attenuator yet though, although I don’t think I’ll ever use that bit.
  • Thanks all.  Interesting and very helpful.  Cheers 
  • I’ve tried a few: Tone King, Palmer, THD Hot Plate, Marshall.  For me the Fryette beats them all, it sounds more natural.  I think the concept of providing the reactive load and then re-amping it makes most sense and sounds best in practice.  The volume and tone controls work really well on it unlike some of the competition where there can be stepped controls where it’s a bit too much one way and too little the other.    If you want to play at really low volume where the strings are really audible acoustically you will notice the fan noise but it doesn’t bother me and it certainly isn’t an issue if you are playing a little louder than that.   I generally use it for playing a loud amp at house friendly volumes and giving me a nice FX loop.  I have also used it as a straight power amp.  I’ve never used it for recording silently as I’d much rather mic up a quiet cab, I have always had better results that way.   Great bit of kit.  
  • *Aaron**Aaron* Frets: 72
    I don't know about best but useful. They have effects loop. Can boost a lower powered amp. I use mine mainly as an attenuator and it sounds really good. No regrets from me.
  • JimtyJimty Frets: 0
    edited August 2023
    Current owner here. To be honest I don’t use mine - I thought I’d need it for my 2204 JMP but I can run the amp fine without it. Same goes for my other amps - all have master volumes though (Headfirst version of a 25w MCII, Diezel VH4 and Stiletto Stage I, for reference). I play at around 85 decibels at home. You need to run the channel volumes high on the Stiletto and use the effects loop output control as a master volume, but it works really well. The masters all need a careful touch to get the right volume level but they all get there. I found the PS2 very slightly colours the sound / feel of the amps but not by much. If you run a non-master volume amp or need to play below 85db or so then I’d recommend the PS2. Plus you get the boost for low powered amps and an FX loop. 
  • PS-2A owner and near-daily user. Never had an issue with fan noise being intrusive for me - maybe I am not as sensitive to it or my particular unit is quieter?

I adore the unit. It is the only way I get to crank my Master on most of my amps, living here in London, let alone dime them and hear tones I otherwise would not get at with just their own MVs. I play a Bogner Shiva, Suhr Hombre, and  Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini thru it (though the latter really has such a good MV I sometimes turn off the Fryette entirely). I even hope to get a pre amp at some point and play straight into the PS2. . .

Put me in the unfashionable camp of 'Highly recommend'.
  • Love mine, probably one of the most useful things I have bought.

I use it as a power amp for my HX stomp and/or with a revival drive as a preamp.

Also use it as an attenuator for my valve amp and I think it sounds great. I also use it to add an fx loop which my amp doesn’t have. 

Also used it as a load box for silent recording and sent the line out to an IR plug in. Again it sounded brilliant
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    edited August 2023
    Boss waza TAE is similar, has onboard effects (ie post amp reverb and compressor if needed), IR cab sim out, presets, footswitch controllable volume boost and isn’t noisy. 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I have the PS2A. Great unit. Also has tons of grunt (would make my 40w Badcat much louder if needed). Just need to extend the speaker cables on my 2204 combo to get the best out of that amp now. I’ve gigged it and been very happy indeed.