Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Bassman Tweed in a pedal...? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Bassman Tweed in a pedal...?

What's Hot
AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 837
My favourite recorded tone I've had in recent times was a Fender Bassman 4x10, I think a 5F6-A, but it was in a studio and I didn't question it too closely once it sounded good! Definitely Tweed, definitely 4×10", definitely vintage. Set clean with a bit of hair and then used a Rat to get more dirt.

Anyway, entirely impractical to drag a real one to gigs, or indeed be able to afford one, so... any pedals that get close? Is the Boss 59 Bassman worth trying to track down? Anything else?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• gatheredinsonggatheredinsong Frets: 464
    edited July 2023
    I found a bassman type sound in the BJFE Sparkling Yellow Overdrive that was fantastic. You could perhaps try the Goldilocks in the classifieds.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/251346/bearfoot-fx-goldilocks-sparkling-yellow-od3-open-to-offers#latest

Edit: worth checking out Mike Hermans' demos of the Sparkling Yellow too, rather than just the clip above.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    The cheap option is an American sound. It has a knob which goes from blackface to tweed and then you add a bit of gain. 

You can also use it without an amp straight into a pa. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    I used to have a Catalinbread formula 5f6 that did a very convincing.....uh.....5f6. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 837
    munckee said:
    The cheap option is an American sound. It has a knob which goes from blackface to tweed and then you add a bit of gain. 

You can also use it without an amp straight into a pa. 
    Well this is embarrassing... I've got one of those... only ever used it on the more scooped settings... I'll explore further.
    merlin said:
    I used to have a Catalinbread formula 5f6 that did a very convincing.....uh.....5f6. 
    Yeah, I've seen that recommended. Had mixed experiences with Catalinbread pedals that I've tried but will do some listening 

Edit: worth checking out Mike Hermans' demos of the Sparkling Yellow too, rather than just the clip above.
    Yep, that sounds great. As he usually does!
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    I have a Bassman 59 reissue and nothing else really sounds quite like it in the flesh. Maybe it’s the 4x10 cabinet.  The edge of breakup sound is sweet full throaty and present. I attenuate mine always because it’s a deafening beast. 

Used with careful tweaking - I put a Unit 67 in front of mine - an American Sound pedal is a good low cost approximation. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markjmarkj Frets: 851
    My Bearfoot Goldilocks that’s for sale here on the forum.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    rze99 said:
    I have a Bassman 59 reissue and nothing else really sounds quite like it in the flesh. Maybe it’s the 4x10 cabinet.  The edge of breakup sound is sweet full throaty and present. I attenuate mine always because it’s a deafening beast. 
    In my opinion it's a combination of the amp circuit, the four speakers and the lightweight, almost entirely open cabinet - the whole thing has an extremely complex, vibrant roar that just can't be duplicated with a more focused amp and signal processing, although I don't doubt you can get quite close. Similarly to an AC30, I think the lack of damping - the cabinet really is very loose, the baffle is little more than tacked into place at the corners! - as well as it having relatively little negative feedback (the AC30 has none) - makes a big difference to the responsiveness as well as the sound. It's definitely a 'whole amp in the room' experience to play through one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter