Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Couple amp suggestions - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Couple amp suggestions

What's Hot
Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 182
Hi guys I’m after some amp suggestions to try out.  Amps are not my forte and have played a Princeton 65 reissue for the last 10 years.  I do really like the princetons cleans but pedal wise they don’t do that well.  Generally most od pedals end up sounding the same in them.  

I’m after a couple amps price is not an issue but be realistic.

I mainly like to play in the style of Kirk fletcher/Robben ford/josh smith great cleans with break up and a smooth od

and I’d also like a rock based amp.  That new jtm studio gave me some gas there.  Head
and cab although god knows how loud it is.

home playing only here with the couple gigs a year with the cleaner amp only.  As far as my home volumes I play at I turn the Princeton to 8 with a les paul and that volume is enough.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• kossofffankossofffan Frets: 506
    'I mainly like to play in the style of Kirk fletcher/Robben ford/josh smith great cleans with break up and a smooth od'

May I recommend a Hamstead Artist 20+RT combo. Beautiful cleans & totally enhances pedals. Has an amazing sweep of the master volume with no, 'tweak it another 1/2 a mm.... oh that's too loud'.
    Has 20, 7 & 2W switch on the rear. 
    Superb spring reverb & smooth tremolo.
    Quality build throughout.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 226
    There’s a couple of Wienbrock amps in the ad section, extremely well priced in my opinion, I’ve been using one of his Me3 models for a few years, I would highly recommend.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199

May I recommend a Hamstead Artist 20+RT combo. 

+1 I used to have one and kind of really regret selling it! They are excellent amps. 
  • I may humbly suggest that if your head turned at that new JTM Studio that just dropped for your rock tones, you look at this parish's options - I think someone (@onpar if I recall) is still selling a Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini on here for roughly similar pricing to the new Marshall - also 20W. I absolutely adore my own DSM for that rock sound, and it will be worlds different from your Princeton Reverb, all classic rock breakup EL84 chunkiness. Bonus factor: the master volume on it is so clever - I don't even use my attenuator most of the time (though I do when I feel like diming it!) so trust me -- you will be fine at home.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NickBNickB Frets: 156
    For your Robben Ford tones at an affordable price try the VHT D-50. Lovely cleans and a reasonable gain channel. Takes o/d wonderfully. Very happy with mine.
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 383
    I may humbly suggest that if your head turned at that new JTM Studio that just dropped for your rock tones, you look at this parish's options - I think someone (@onpar if I recall) is still selling a Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini on here for roughly similar pricing to the new Marshall - also 20W. I absolutely adore my own DSM for that rock sound, and it will be worlds different from your Princeton Reverb, all classic rock breakup EL84 chunkiness. Bonus factor: the master volume on it is so clever - I don't even use my attenuator most of the time (though I do when I feel like diming it!) so trust me -- you will be fine at home.
    Thanks for the referral theterracat. 

Friedman DSM is pretty much perfect for anything. Great cleans, lovely edge of breakup, classic rock, through to metal. So versatile and the master volume is incredible.

The only thing to consider is that there is no reverb, so it can bit a tad dry when playing at home same as all amps with no reverb, so I tend to run a Hall of Fame in the fx loop at home. Never needed reverb when gigging it though. Doesn't need it.

I also had a Hamstead Artist and agree with the comments on this thread as well. Super open and crystal clear. Takes pedals better than any other amp I've had. Stunning amp in every way. Only negative for me was the weight of the combo. It's not crazy heavy but you will feel it if you have to carry the amp long distances.

I also have a Vox ac10 for sale, which for the money sounds really alive and has all the classic Vox sounds. Great home amp. 

• PALPAL Frets: 465
    DR Z Maz18JR !
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    Sounds like a Lazy J20H would be perfect for you, much better cleans than the standard J20 and great break-up. It just so happens there’s one in the classifieds at the moment…!  :)
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    A Morgan JS12 might be worth a try if you're after Josh Smith's tone.  
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 182
    Cheers guys the Morgan js12 I really liked a few years ago when I tried one with a Strat.  But mainly play a les paul now so unsure there.  

Got a few options mentioned to take a look at.  Ideally I want to try some out.  My new moto now in buying saves a hell a lot of reselling