Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Shed Pickups are back - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Shed Pickups are back

What's Hot
thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
Reading the Rabea/BKP thread reminded me that I discovered a couple of days ago that Shed Pickups are back in business. I’ve never tried them, but they seemed to be highly regarded by the magazines at the time.

https://shedpickups.co.uk/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3097
    edited July 2023 tFB Trader
    I loved shed when they were going, his pafs were some of the best imo.

Hope he keeps it together this time and wish him luck.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • skayskay Frets: 383
    Based on a sample size of one, the Shed P90 (The Mutz Nuts or something IIRC) I have in my Les Paul Junior sounds epic to my ears, absolutely top notch!

Took a long time to arrive, but would not hesitate to try something else from Spencer again if his other pickups are on the same level as the P90 I received. 

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MattPMattP Frets: 240
    That’s great! I have a set of PAF Daddies that I bought from Spencer maybe 15 years ago. Still absolutely love them. 
  • mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 472
    Is it the same guy? I had two sets off him was back. Both were exceptional and both got sold with the guitars I installed them in which was a mistake
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    Companies House says yes. Looks like they now have a marketing director and a sales director on board - I’ve seen a few posts on other forums about pickups not delivered for months after payment etc., so hopefully they won’t run into those kinds of problems again.
  • llewllew Frets: 78
    I thought Shed pickups were outstanding 
  • Hi folks, yes, same guy making them with the same home made machines and methodology...and as thermionic quite rightly pointed out, the company is more structured now :) Great to be back!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    Hi folks, yes, same guy making them with the same home made machines and methodology...and as thermionic quite rightly pointed out, the company is more structured now :) Great to be back!
    Great to have you back :-) 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3097
    tFB Trader
    Hi folks, yes, same guy making them with the same home made machines and methodology...and as thermionic quite rightly pointed out, the company is more structured now :) Great to be back!
    Can't wait to hear the new ones Spence, good luck.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    Good luck with the relaunch. Spoilt for choice here in south Wales now!
  • Shed_PickupsShed_Pickups Frets: 11
    edited July 2023

Thank you all for the kind words, very, very much appreciated. Just to mention, the initial range of pickups that we have produced are hand-made and voiced like our originals. The names may have changed but the tones remain the same. The original Shed ‘PAF Daddies’ are now the ‘HA-59 PAF’s’ etc. We’ll be introducing new pickups to the range as time moves on but we wanted to kick things off with the classics. We’ll also be putting some video and audio up on the site for you all real soon. Thanks again 

• tele69tele69 Frets: 197
    This is fantastic news. Bought an Esquire pickup years ago. Sensational. I’d certainly love another too
  • Hi folks, yes, same guy making them with the same home made machines and methodology...and as thermionic quite rightly pointed out, the company is more structured now :) Great to be back!
    Still got my EC blackies on my Highway Strat, welcome back 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Strat pickups £350, two HBs £399.

Nah. Not for me thanks.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisus said:

Nah. Not for me thanks.
    Jeeeeeez, I’ll just stick to being a peasant and buy Irongear instead
  • LuisVDLuisVD Frets: 0
    Hello, @Shed_Pickups ;

I'm Luis from Mallorca and I recently swap an Ibanez AZ for a 10 years old custom made Stratocaster (beautiful btw).

When I received it, I disassembled it and discovered that the pickups are Shed EC Blackies. I've been looking for information about their specifications because I would love to know more about them (whether they are from the '50s or more from the '60s), but I can't find anything. They are incredible guitar pickups.

Do you have any information about them? Or are there any similar ones in the new lineup of Shed Pickups?

Thank you very much and greetings.

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 1979
    axisus said:

Nah. Not for me thanks.
    That and everything aged, even the magnets.

"You can't create 30 to 50 years of aging in a few minutes and we age everything including the magnets, our techniques are unparalleled and an absolute guarded secret."

But surely if we're all craving the tones of these pickups as they appeared on recordings in the 60s, they were at that point fairly new, not 30 to 50 years old? Unless it's being done to imitate the way alnico formulations have changed over the years, but it's not presented as that. 

The high price plus luck of transparency sets my snake oil alert off. Particularly when there other UK winders like @OilCityPickups who are very open about the work they do, and use it as an engagement opportunity to show their expertise.

That said, the glowing reviews in this thread suggest the quality is worth the price of entry; it's just the marketing approach that's bothering me, I think.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1790
    timmypix said:
    axisus said:

Nah. Not for me thanks.
    That and everything aged, even the magnets.

"You can't create 30 to 50 years of aging in a few minutes and we age everything including the magnets, our techniques are unparalleled and an absolute guarded secret."

But surely if we're all craving the tones of these pickups as they appeared on recordings in the 60s, they were at that point fairly new, not 30 to 50 years old? Unless it's being done to imitate the way alnico formulations have changed over the years, but it's not presented as that. 

The high price plus luck of transparency sets my snake oil alert off. Particularly when there other UK winders like @OilCityPickups who are very open about the work they do, and use it as an engagement opportunity to show their expertise.

That said, the glowing reviews in this thread suggest the quality is worth the price of entry; it's just the marketing approach that's bothering me, I think.
    Yep I agree. Shed pickups are marvellous recreations. I used to have a set. But cut the marketing bull shit please. Ageing is a cosmetic thing and nothing to do with sound etc. Although I do love a set of aged pick ups
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter