Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). More weird amp noises - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

More weird amp noises

What's Hot
Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
edited July 2023 in Amps
What do you think this might be?

Can’t embed a link as it’s a video hosted on Imgur.

There is a suggestion from the shop the problem is the cab, but it’s the amp that is vibrating for sure, although it is possible that the cab is more ‘active’ in terms of vibs than an Orange cab, as the H&K is a lighter weight - 13 ply. Still think an amp should be able to handle some vibrations from a cab without singing along.

FWIW I’ve had two of these heads now, one would rattle on an F# and this one favours A…I don’t think at this stage I should accept the shops suggestion of a replacement and aim for a refund.

I’m done with buying amps online for now I reckon. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 270

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    Thanks @Whistler - though I don’t get audio off that embedded clip, on my phone at least.

I suspect it’s the power transformer rattling, either the mountings or the laminations. I’m not dismantling it, it’s brand new and should be good to go out of the box given the price.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    I wouldn't accept a replacement given that this is the 2nd one that is doing the same thing, and would ask for a full refund.

I assume that you placed the head in various places other than on top of the cabinet and it's doing the same thing?  I realise that you would want to have it on top of the cabinet to play, and I agree that a head should be able to resist normal vibrations from a speaker cab without singing along, but if the shop is blaming the cabinet and might try and get sticky about a full refund I would take a video capturing it doing the same thing off the cab where possible.  It's not as though you were playing it at high levels in your MP4 video on imgur.  Does it get a lot worse if you play it louder?
    edited July 2023

It doesn’t rattle if you take it off the cab, because then there’s nothing to drive the vibration  it might well on a loud stage though. In the room it rattles longer if the amp is cranked but then you can’t really hear it because it’s covered by the volume coming from the speakers.

Same cab, same room, same guitar, same volumes, different amp = no rattles. It’s definitely not the room or the cab 

I think anything rattling at this low volume will only ever get worse and potentially hasten failure elsewhere. I don’t think I could trust it not to lunch itself.

Its also true that I’m sensitive to rattles, I hate rattling amps and after getting annoyed with tube rattle in combos thought I’d go back to head and cab and then ended up with 2 heads that rattled more than any combo I’ve had 

At this point I’m *almost* tempted to go
    ss!
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    It's definitely not your over-sensitivity to rattles.  It's clearly evident in the audio of that video.  It would get on my nerves and the fact that it rattles elsewhere in the room at higher volumes (which is what I was trying to ask about but not very well worded) is a good enough justification for sending it back for a refund.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Definitely very audible and not acceptable - it doesn't sound like valve rattle to me either.

If I had to guess I think it could be something like an internal wiring loom vibration.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I know you have, but have you tried a different lead? I had this recently and it was my guitar cable!
    I know you have, but have you tried a different lead? I had this recently and it was my guitar cable!
    Different everything :) except cab to be fair. 
    edited August 2023
    Orange came back to me and said that some of the early MK amps had a problem with the PT not seating correctly after transit. The fix is to loosen it off and reseat it before tightening everything back up. Mine has already gone back so I can’t try it but it sounds plausible to me.