Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Recording Great Guitar Tones on a Budget new series for beginners - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Recording Great Guitar Tones on a Budget new series for beginners

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 6677
edited July 2023 in Studio & Recording
I'm just starting a new series on my guitar blog, it might be useful for a few of you, or people you know that are looking for some help.

Especially, if you are new to recording the guitar.

I'm going to start off pretty basic and it will work its way up to some more advanced lessons over the coming months.

The first part covers some handy free software and the following parts will feature a mix of audio recording, and microphone techniques, plus some useful mixing tips and ways to create/record specific guitar tones.

Recording Great Guitar Tones on a Budget - Part 1

I didn't want to write the "War and Peace of guitar recording" in one article, as it would be off-putting for a lot of people, so I'm starting gently.

Also, if anyone has any specific topics they would like me to cover in the future, then feel free to add them here or message me.

You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 763
    Something on warm/clean amp plug ins would be useful to an IT neanderthal like myself. The ones that come with garage band are pretty harsh sounding to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    If it was my series it would go.....Wait for a sale...buy archetype: gojira.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7159
    Ok so my constructive criticism would be you kinda take a survey of some of the things you ened like a daw and some plugins but you dont actually go through step by step of making a recording. I would prob focus an intro article less on selection of software and be more presecriptive and say..use this, this and this, then here's exactly how you make it work together in a recipe format if you know what I mean. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 6677
    I agree with the how to do it section. Though, first I have found recommending tools to use can be helpful for complete novices. This will be ongoing and so I’ll cover more techniques over the series. Plus, I know a lot musicians that don’t know how to use a DAW and so it could also encapsulate some of this information at some point early in the series.

As my old career was training Logic and setting up recording studios. I’ve experienced a lot of training and helping musicians to get results.

My biggest audience is currently from the USA and I get a lot of traffic also from Europe. The suggestions from you guys is really useful and so I’ll take it all onboard for my next few articles.

You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Good idea - seems to be a lot of them popping up lately! So many articles on blogs seem to pop up with the most noddy stuff but no detail on how to actually implement the vague concepts they talk about. Feels like a lot of this content is written more for SEO purposes rather than providing useful resources. 

I'm in perhaps a slightly weird position where I've spent a lot of time in studios recording etc etc and know the basics of what to do to get a good recording and make it sound good (mics, VSTs, EQ, compression, adding low-mix parallel effects to fatten stuff, etc etc), but I have little clue how to implement that in a DAW. I'm learning that stuff now so anything along those lines would be fab. Or even just direction to other good resources would always be helpful. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter