Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Roger Mayer - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Roger Mayer

What's Hot
longshinslongshins Frets: 241
Is he still about doing stuff? The website doesn’t look to have changed for a while. I’ve had a couple of his pedals years ago and the recent Pete Cornish thread reminded me of him.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Yeah they released new smaller versions of some of the classic circuits a couple of years ago iirc. Not pushing hard on the marketing like most though. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 291
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 241
    DoctorX said:
    Bizarre prices. I’m well out of touch with things nowadays… thanks for the link though, interesting stuff!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    His classic circuits are amazing but where he continued to tinker like any good engineer does, there is something at best disingenuous and at worst downright dishonest about selling pedals based on 'Jimi would have loved this' as opposed to 'Jimi played this'. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    longshins said:
    DoctorX said:
    Bizarre prices. I’m well out of touch with things nowadays… thanks for the link though, interesting stuff!
    Should have kept my rocket ship Axis Fuzz. Built a mini one though which sounds the part and is more practical

• StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1268
    Seven hundred and thirty quid for a Voodoo Vibe?!? Seriously?

Wow. I got mine for £50, albeit used. Sold it for £150, I think
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Wow looks like prices have got a bit bonkers. I had a Voodoo Blues that I won in a competition a while back. I really liked that circuit but sold it as the old case was massive so it never got near a real-world pedalboard. I'd very happily have another but at £300 there's a hell of a lot of competition...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 239
    Seven hundred and thirty quid for a Voodoo Vibe?!? Seriously?

Well it's certainly going to help the value of my 'vintage' original!

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    edited July 2023
    soma1975 said:
    His classic circuits are amazing but where he continued to tinker like any good engineer does, there is something at best disingenuous and at worst downright dishonest about selling pedals based on 'Jimi would have loved this' as opposed to 'Jimi played this'. 
    To be fair, if anyone could claim Jimi would have liked it, he probably can. More so than almost anyone else connected to the Hendrix legacy. Maybe better to say ‘196x Jimi would have loved it’ though.

As others have said, his prices are bonkers though, 700 quid for the wah? I’ve had a few of the earlier iterations and I do like them but they’re in no way worth 550 quid more than a BMF or whatever…and IMO the reed switch version is better than the new 2 pot version. I’ve also had a voodoo vibe and it’s also ridiculously priced, I much preferred my Castledine and Foxrox vibes and neither of those picked up the local taxi radio channel…
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6304
    soma1975 said:
    To be fair, if anyone could claim Jimi would have liked it, he probably can. More so than almost anyone else connected to the Hendrix legacy. Maybe better to say ‘196x Jimi would have loved it’ though.

But he can't. It's complete speculation and dishonest marketing. His work with Jimi was iterative. It wasn't him presenting mk2 off the back of making choices on his own - it was bringing stuff in and Jimi saying what he did and didn't like about something.
    Without that feedback he's just making it up. 

And Jimi would have sacked off an octavio the moment the POG was out let's be fair. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2394
    Roger must be mid/late 70s by now. Is he really still making pedals or are they just being made elsewhere in his name?
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 259
    Looking at those prices, I'm starting to wish I'd never sold my Voodoo Vibe now!

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1170
    edited August 2023
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 6677
    I still have a Stone Fuzz and a wah pedal he built for me in the '90s which is based on the 9090A circuit. Think I've owned most of his pedals over the years, but always ended up moving them on. As usually too large. 
    You can now read my guitar ramblings here http://www.gearnews.com and here https://guitarbomb.com