Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). PHASE AND FLANGE - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

PHASE AND FLANGE

What's Hot
SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1477
Hello chaps - hoping for some advice on Phaser and Flanger use. 

I am keen to dial in either phase or flange into a 'just breaking up' tone - often within rhythm playing and a slow sweep.

However when the sweep reaches its high end, I get quite a horrible thin, ice picky bite. And this is on an MXR Script, an EHX Small Stone, and now a Catalinbread STS 88. 

Is this just the nature of these pedals (ie they designed to use with a quicker rotation in time with note and chord changes (whereby the high bite has been and gone before offending), or is it a quality issue ?

My old MusicMan valve amp had a built in phaser that was far smoother and never got that extreme. What an amp...

On a separate note, I really like the mix option with the STS 88 - whereby I am able to tailor how much of the flange is in the sound, and have a more subtle effect. That has worked really well and definitely adds what I want (or doesn't add too much !).

Any steering greatly appreciated...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    Where do you place it your chain? Phaser before any drive (even low gainers) has always worked for me as you don’t get weird volume boosts and the gain keeps the top end in check.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1513
    I always place phasers and flangers before my drives. Works for me. Where in the chain are yours?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 144
    Ditto… any drives after phase/flange will help even out the harshness. But to be honest that’s an inherent part of these effects. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1477
    Thanks for the tips - I gave that a try, and it did help (strange that online platforms all seem to advise to place gain at the start of the pedal chain) !

There's also quite a difference between my transistor and tube amps.

And I'm adjusting my playing to slightly move away from the high strings when hitting the top of the treble sweep.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Depends on the sound in your head but if you think about  Van Halen or solos on Bob Marley records or something it's primarily drive from an amp so phase, flange, delay would have all been pre drive. I don't know when drive-mods-reverb/delay became the orthodoxy. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    Depends on the sound in your head but if you think about  Van Halen or solos on Bob Marley records or something it's primarily drive from an amp so phase, flange, delay would have all been pre drive. I don't know when drive-mods-reverb/delay became the orthodoxy. 
    I wonder if it took off with early multi-fx units that had fixed pedal order?

Also I remember that in the 80s I was very keen to reduce noise in my guitar signal chain, and the ‘standard’ pedal order sought to do the same.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I got a Hiwatt Tube Phaser recently and it has none of the harshness. Close to a univibe sort of sound. You may prefer a univibe style pedal, now that I think of it
    roberty said:
    I got a Hiwatt Tube Phaser recently and it has none of the harshness. Close to a univibe sort of sound. You may prefer a univibe style pedal, now that I think of it
    Good point, there’s a huge range of sounds available from 4-stage phasers alone. Personally I’m not keen on large amounts of feedback/resonance that create a very ‘peaky’ response - that too could be part of the OP’s issue.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Keefy said:
    I wonder if it took off with early multi-fx units that had fixed pedal order?

Also I remember that in the 80s I was very keen to reduce noise in my guitar signal chain, and the ‘standard’ pedal order sought to do the same.
    I remember Andy Summers had a compressor at the end of his pedals and people scream NO! now because of noise but maybe a certain level of noise was more accepted then. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Keefy said:
    roberty said:
    Good point, there’s a huge range of sounds available from 4-stage phasers alone. Personally I’m not keen on large amounts of feedback/resonance that create a very ‘peaky’ response - that too could be part of the OP’s issue.
    I always thought the block Phase 90 sounded awful at home but amazing in a band context. I could never work that one out. Maybe the harshness is smeared into the cymbals, or maybe just sheer volume
  • danodano Frets: 1484
    I've got a few phasers i use, MXR EVH phase 90, MXR Hendrix Univibe and a Boss PH-1R.

I tend to go with the EVH at a slowish speed, knob between 10 and 11, great for rhythm-y stuff, and run it into a Trex Mudhoney (a fancy Rat).  

My favourite phaser those in the Boss PH-1R, the resonance control is so sweet, adds just enough feedback to get a great sound.
    dano said:
    I've got a few phasers i use, MXR EVH phase 90, MXR Hendrix Univibe and a Boss PH-1R.

I tend to go with the EVH at a slowish speed, knob between 10 and 11, great for rhythm-y stuff, and run it into a Trex Mudhoney (a fancy Rat).  

My favourite phaser those in the Boss PH-1R, the resonance control is so sweet, adds just enough feedback to get a great sound.
    A friend of mine has the older Boss PH-1, absolutely classic phaser effect.