Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Best use of this blank? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Best use of this blank?

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
I've had this large chunk of mahogany for a long time, thinking that I'd "do something with it" one day.

I was vaguely thinking of a 1-piece thru neck, but not sure that'd be the best use of such a large piece, nor whether a 1-piece would be sufficiently stable (that said, it's not moved in the years that it's been stuck in my workshop in far from ideal conditions).  It's quite a heavy piece of timber in its current state.

Dimensions;
Length 53" x 4" x 3" or 1340 x 100 x 75.

The shaped piece at the end is approx 8.5" / 215 long (that was done when I acquired the block).

Looks like I could get 4 F-stype blanks from it, although I could then build up the heel area from offcuts and joint the headstock if I wanted set neck styles.

Those pieces next to it are standard sized blanks, for comparison.

Thoughts?

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Isn’t it time you made a bass?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    tFB Trader
    Maybe sand the end grain a little more until you can see the grain lines clearly, it looks a bit rift sawn in your last photo which would make it a good candidate for splitting into laminates to reglue flipped?
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Roland said:
    Now, I said I wanted to make *best* use of it!  
    ;)

Maybe sand the end grain a little more until you can see the grain lines clearly, it looks a bit rift sawn in your last photo
    I think you're right - easier to see from the other end

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    I would only do one piece mahogany through neck if the grain was on the quarter.

For me that grain would be used for 2 or 3 piece necks
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Roland said:
    One-piece solid electric ‘bodyless’ upright.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Baritone! 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    ICBM said:
    Roland said:
    One-piece solid electric ‘bodyless’ upright.
    I suppose that would tick the box titled "make something that you haven't made before".

Unfortunately, it would also tick the box titled "make something that you'd never play" too
    :D

I'm leaning towards cutting it into 3 lengths, flipping the middle piece for stability, and then adding a contrasting veneer either side for visuals.

I think I could get two G-style necks out of it, possibly one with a scarf jointed headstock, or 4 F style necks.  Either way, they'd be 5-way laminated.  

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Why wouldn't you play a baritone? Lovely rich deep things. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    TTony said:

I'm leaning towards cutting it into 3 lengths, flipping the middle piece for stability, and then adding a contrasting veneer either side for visuals.
    That's exactly what I did with a sapele blank I had kicking around many years ago and made a nice stable through-neck.  I had bought it as an offcut from a proper "joiners" workshop and store.  It was a leftover from a fancy mantelpiece they had made for somebody and didn't have an ideal saw cut for a neck, so I cut it into 3 lengths and flipped the centre one.  I just butted and glued them together and, instead of using full depth in-between layers of contrasting veneer, I just cut thin and fairly shallow grooves along the seams and infilled them with narrow maple acoustic guitar binding for decoration.  It looked really smart and didn't twist.