Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Neck issue? - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Neck issue?

What's Hot
rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 173
edited July 2023 in Acoustics
I took a recently purchased guitar to luthier for a set up.It played ok ish and he said it had a slightly twisted neck.He said he could still do the set up to my specifications.It makes me think as it’s a new guitar could it be returned?
Do you think this warrants a return.I don’t really won’t to go down this road as seems to play ok.Is this unusual on a new guitar or is he looking for work.I looked myself and found hard to identify.

Thks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Which direction is it twisted in? Slightly anticlockwise at the headstock when you look down the neck from the headstock end is normal, and actually useful if it isn’t too much - it gives a lower action on the treble strings and more relief on the bass ones.

It’s usually caused by a truss rod with the adjustment at the head end - as you tighten the nut clockwise against the plate it presses on, the friction locks in an anticlockwise force on the neck.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBM said:
    Which direction is it twisted in? Slightly anticlockwise at the headstock when you look down the neck from the headstock end is normal, and actually useful if it isn’t too much - it gives a lower action on the treble strings and more relief on the bass ones.

It’s usually caused by a truss rod with the adjustment at the head end - as you tighten the nut clockwise against the plate it presses on, the friction locks in an anticlockwise force on the neck.
    Thks,The truss rod adjusts from inside the body same as a Martin.
  • ICBM said:

Thks,The truss rod adjusts from inside the body same as a Martin.
    Sorry ICBM,I Misunderstood your reply.Makes sense regarding truss rod adjustments.So would you say there’s no cause for concern?It does play ok.
    Thks.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    It’s less common to have a twist like that when the truss rod adjuster is at the body end, but provided it’s in the right direction - making the neck straighter on the treble side and with more relief on the bass side - then it’s still fine unless the twist is severe enough that you can’t achieve a relief within the normal range on both sides at the same time.

If it plays OK then it sounds like that must be the case, in which case don’t worry about it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter