Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Reshaping a neck - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Reshaping a neck

What's Hot
citesquestioncitesquestion Frets: 25
edited July 2023 in Making & Modding
I have a nice (unfinished) rosewood neck that is a bit too fat for me (like a 52 tele, size-wise). Is it a big job to reshape it to something thinner? Anyone good at doing this? Spoke to my regular tech who basically said it's doable but he can't be bothered. I know "sell it and buy something suitable" is probably the more sensible route but I really like it otherwise 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    edited July 2023
    There is always a risk when taking meat off the middle as you don't know how far down the truss rod is. ... unless you have access to an x-ray

Better to reshape the cheeks instead,  you can make a big difference by reshaping the profile whilst only taking the minimal amount off the thickness
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezV said:
    There is always a risk when taking meat off the middle as you don't know how far down the truss rod is. ... unless you have access to an x-ray

Better to reshape the cheeks instead,  you can make a big difference by reshaping the profile whilst only taking the minimal amount off the thickness
    I do know a dentist who dabbles as a luthier but not sure how work-appropriate would that be for him!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:

I do know a dentist who dabbles as a luthier but not sure how work-appropriate would that be for him!
    Wouldn't he have to X-ray it in 1" sections?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • matt_seftonmatt_sefton Frets: 476
    It’s very simple. I’ve reshaped 3 strat necks over the last couple of years using a cabinet scraper, Stanley knife blade, sandpaper and files. Just take it slowly and keep checking how it feels.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    It’s remarkable how little you need to take off the change the feel of the neck, and the sound of the guitar. I did one with just a cabinet scraper, followed by 240 and 320 grit sandpaper. Every three or four stokes I stopped to play it, and was surprised at the difference each time.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Roland said:
    It’s remarkable how little you need to take off the change the feel of the neck, and the sound of the guitar. I did one with just a cabinet scraper, followed by 240 and 320 grit sandpaper. Every three or four stokes I stopped to play it, and was surprised at the difference each time.
    I would believe that based on what I've measured and observed