Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NPD - Echoline Signal Driver - A Mini Review... - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NPD - Echoline Signal Driver - A Mini Review...

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
Now, I've been fortunate to own a few Pete Cornish pedals...

Expensive yes, but maybe the rest of the market is catching up with PC price wise.
Still, there always seems to be something a bit special about those Cornish pedals...

Tank-like build, totally silent, and I'm sure that the buffer is a key component in that.

Anyway, I've always been a fan of the CC1, P1, G2 and the simple NB3.

I've owned the latter a few times, as it remains the best boost/'add a little bit more' I've ever used. 
Simple one knob, and dead easy to set for solos and boosts - live and add rehearsal.

You'd think a simple boost would be an easy thing to make and use wouldn't you ?

Not in my experience. There is a simple neutrality to a good boost... end of the chain for me, and the one knob are a set and forget.

Enter Echoline Pedals.

I don't know about you, but I have a list of pedals that I keep an eye out for... I've been looking for a POG 2 and NB3 for a few months. I was close to ordering new, when I spotted a link or a thread (TGP I think) for Echoline Pedals, and a thread appeared on our own beloved forum. These claim to be exact replicas of the Cornish models.

Check out the good website here;

https://www.echolinepedals.com/

So, I purchased the NB3 replica called the 'Signal Driver' on Monday. It arrived lightning fast today, and came very well packaged with some nice candy =)

First thoughts; looks... it is a gorgeous pedal, well made and has that Back To The Future dial ! A lovely touch, and the whole pedal feels like love and precision has gone into it.

The box and saw are lovely too, and just look at it - beautiful !

Oh, and the 'Signal Driver' words are etched and raised. There is a separate red label for 'Primary Driver', which is another nod to the Back To The Future influence. A nice touch...

And so, onto the sounds.

Perfect. Clear, clean with that little bit of 'sparkle' a good buffer brings.

I'm delighted, as you can tell =)

And you know what, this cost £129. I mean, what pedal can you buy now for this kinda money ?!?!

With it's heritage, price and looks, the Signal Driver is Cornish quality, sound and feel for a fraction of the price.
And obtainable too.

A big thanks to @Echoline_Pedals for the fast service...

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Thank you so much @Wazmeister. What a legend  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    As ever @Wazmeister your reviews are a pleasure to read. Thanks for taking the time to post up your thoughts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • louis_LLMlouis_LLM Frets: 108
    Great review - convinced me to pick one up at the end of the month
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 291
    These Cornish rip-off’s sound like a perfect pairing for a Demon fx King of Drive. Very tempting.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KultscharKultschar Frets: 27
    edited July 2023
    Interesting - Big Cornish fan here though but (kill me for this...) im happy with modelling now expect for unique and gnarly fuzz!!

Ive kept my Anniversary deluxe trio P1, G2, SS2 with the doughnut rings.   Originally had the grey versions (had a P1 from a special batch of 6 around the On An Island pedalboard build, before he agreed to mass produce them), then I went to the Battery Frees which was great as you could stack loads together in such small pedalboard space but they were not the nicest to look at.  Had most of them and love them all except the CC1.   Wish I kept the SSC and TES though

Anyhow - these look nicer then the Battery Frees aesthetically - the G2 is prob my fave OD overhand boy I loved the NG2 / 3 fuzz!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    It's got a reassuringly industrial look about it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Sassafras said:
    I mean that as a compliment.
    It looks very purposeful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    Sassafras said:
    Sassafras said:

Agreed.  I fancy trying the compressor.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • We’re actually running a giveaway for a G-2 clone on Insta, so if anyone wants to get involved it should be fun!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Sassafras said:
    Sassafras said:
    Yeah I like that too
  • markjmarkj Frets: 851
    We’re actually running a giveaway for a G-2 clone on Insta, so if anyone wants to get involved it should be fun!
    How does a man in his late 50’s that doesn’t do social media get in the running for the giveaway?
    markj said:
    We’re actually running a giveaway for a G-2 clone on Insta, so if anyone wants to get involved it should be fun!
    How does a man in his late 50’s that doesn’t do social media get in the running for the giveaway?
    Don't do it, it's a trap!

;) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markj said:
    Ah sorry about that Mark! We promise it’s not a trap! ;) A valid point though, social media isn’t for everyone. We have another giveaway coming up after this one. Maybe we should run it just for members of The Fretboard?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    markj said:
    Ah sorry about that Mark! We promise it’s not a trap! ;) A valid point though, social media isn’t for everyone. We have another giveaway coming up after this one. Maybe we should run it just for members of The Fretboard?
    James, thats a cracking idea.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    markj said:
    Limited to those whose Username rhymes with Ratty-mole.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    Hattigol said:
    markj said:
    Batty hole ?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    Cattyvole?
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 4979
    Natty Stroll
  • Chatty Grohl?
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    Shatty Hole
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Hattigol said:
    markj said:
    Batty hole ?
    Actually, this should be extended to others rhyming with Cocksure Four-wheely-bus  ;)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 733
    That pedal looks great, but what will it do that my cheap-as-chips EHX LPB-1 won't?
    That pedal looks great, but what will it do that my cheap-as-chips EHX LPB-1 won't?
    EHX vs Pete Cornish ? =)

I’ll leave others with great knowledge than me to answer that…
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 5837
    Nice review Waz and thanks for the heads up.
    EHX vs Pete Cornish ? =)

Do I detect cork sniffery? It's a one knob "makes things louder" pedal, no doubt with better components and build quality than the EHX one. However I suspect that, other than that, the real answer to my question is "nothing", other than nicer aesthetics.
    EHX vs Pete Cornish ? =)

Do I detect cork sniffery? It's a one knob "makes things louder" pedal, no doubt with better components and build quality than the EHX one. However I suspect that, other than that, the real answer to my question is "nothing", other than nicer aesthetics.
    Probably.

Play one v the other and let me know :)
  • That pedal looks great, but what will it do that my cheap-as-chips EHX LPB-1 won't?
    EHX vs Pete Cornish ? =)

Good question, and it deserves a detailed answer.

Build quality and attention to detail (as has been mentioned) will of course be better on the Cornish stuff.

While the ultimate goal of both pedals is similar, the Cornish is a different circuit and contains an ‘always on’ liner driver (buffer) even when the boost is engaged. It also goes quite a lot louder than the LPB-1 (30dB vs 20dB).

Tonally, as to which one is ‘better’ will of course be subjective! To my ears the Cornish is clearer, punchier, has higher headroom, more dynamics, more harmonic content and much more clarity. 

On the other hand the LPB-1 is warmer, woolier, grungier, breaks up sooner, has true bypass and is a hell of a lot cheaper. This might be better for whatever tone / style of music you’re trying to achieve!

The BEST one is the one you prefer to own, look at, stomp on, and listen to :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    EHX vs Pete Cornish ? =)

Good question, and it deserves a detailed answer.

Build quality and attention to detail (as has been mentioned) will of course be better on the Cornish stuff.

While the ultimate goal of both pedals is similar, the Cornish is a different circuit and contains an ‘always on’ liner driver (buffer) even when the boost is engaged. It also goes quite a lot louder than the LPB-1 (30dB vs 20dB).

Tonally, as to which one is ‘better’ will of course be subjective! To my ears the Cornish is clearer, punchier, has higher headroom, more dynamics, more harmonic content and much more clarity. 

On the other hand the LPB-1 is warmer, woolier, grungier, breaks up sooner, has true bypass and is a hell of a lot cheaper. This might be better for whatever tone / style of music you’re trying to achieve!

The BEST one is the one you prefer to own, look at, stomp on, and listen to :)

Thanks for the detailed answer @Echoline_Pedals. The warmth of the LPB-1 is a plus for me, and there's enough boost for my needs, so I can't see me replacing it any time soon, and If I did, it would be with another, as they're so cheap.

Good luck with your new line of pedals though. I might not be in the market for the Signal Driver, but one of your other products might tempt me.
  • Thanks @ElectricXII! Much appreciated :)