Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Blackstar HT-5 Mk2 - the 0.5 Watt mode - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Blackstar HT-5 Mk2 - the 0.5 Watt mode

jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
I'm curious about the Blackstar HT-5 Mk2 where it says it is 

'
Inspired by our patented Dynamic Power Reduction circuit, simply switch down to 0.5 Watts at the push of a button without any loss of tone.' 

The phrase: 'Inspired by...'

...is interesting.  It makes me wonder if this involve power-scaling with actual reduction of voltages on the power amp tube as with the DPR circuit?  Or is this a 10% power switch with some resistors involved? (details below)

A 90% cut in power can be attained by using a 16 ohm 25W resistor for the upper resistor and a 12 ohm 25W resistor for the lower resistor (8 ohm output transformer secondary). 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    You can never quite trust advertising copy, not even Blackstar's but if they REALLY mean "no loss of tone" then the power reduction cannot I suggest be achieved with a simple speaker level attenuator no a crude HT reduction.

DPR works (as wus told to me years ago anyway!) by reducing the continuous power (the really noisy bit) but allowing a very short initial "attack" at close to full power. This is achieved by some clever circuitry manipulating both G2 and bias voltages.

Of course, 12BH7s don't have screens so maybe anode volts and bias are jiggled? Since we are only dealing with two conditions, 5W and 0.5W and not continuous control I would expect the circuit to have been greatly simplified.

But! I am only guessing and they ain't gonna tell me now!

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    As I said to Jay on PM - its definitely not done with a couple of big heat soak resistors. Its a lot more sophisticated than that - and does involve circuitry that links back to the DPR on the Series One, but obviously its not the same due to the different topology of the amp.

As I'm not an "official mouthpiece" for Blackstar on here, its not for me to go any further than that, guys... 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    impmann said:
    As I said to Jay on PM - its definitely not done with a couple of big heat soak resistors. Its a lot more sophisticated than that - and does involve circuitry that links back to the DPR on the Series One, but obviously its not the same due to the different topology of the amp.

As I'm not an "official mouthpiece" for Blackstar on here, its not for me to go any further than that, guys... 

Ah so.

Dave.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
    From the website:

Blackstar’s patented DPR feature controls the output power level by dynamically adjusting the output stage voltages, allowing power valve distortion and compression at any volume level. 

Is this the same thing on the HT5 MKii I wonder…
  • nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 154
    If you are interested, here is the patent! https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=GB&NR=2446614A&KC=A&FT=D&ND=3&date=20080820&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP

I haven't read through it, but it will set out the basic principles I guess.

I'm not familiar with the schematic of the HT5, but as pointed out above the 12BH7 is a dual triode rather than a tetrode/pentode. It's also set up as push/pull, I did wonder whether it was a 12BH7 set up as a cascode - which then would have something possibly resembling a screen - but alas, no. "Inspired by" insinuates to me it's doing the same "thing" as in that patent, but they've found another way to adjust the continuous power to the triodes without lowering B+ supply, etc.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 761
    nacnudnai said:
    If you are interested, here is the patent! https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=GB&NR=2446614A&KC=A&FT=D&ND=3&date=20080820&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP

I haven't read through it, but it will set out the basic principles I guess.

I'm not familiar with the schematic of the HT5, but as pointed out above the 12BH7 is a dual triode rather than a tetrode/pentode. It's also set up as push/pull, I did wonder whether it was a 12BH7 set up as a cascode - which then would have something possibly resembling a screen - but alas, no. "Inspired by" insinuates to me it's doing the same "thing" as in that patent, but they've found another way to adjust the continuous power to the triodes without lowering B+ supply, etc.
    Thanks @nacnudnai ;

The Blackstar HT5 does involve a form of power scaling / reduction of voltage to the output section.

Incidentally, the Marshall DSL1 which has a 0.1W (10%) mode does not but uses a bunch of resistors to do it...
    2 x 22Ω in parallel = 11Ω
    Then an 8.2 Ω in series for a total of something like 19.2Ω total resistance 
    ...constituing a 10% power switch