Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). HX Effects users: How are you powering them? - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

HX Effects users: How are you powering them?

What's Hot
The supplied PSU doesn’t look up to scratch. I’ve seen the Paul Cioks video of using a current doubler with the DC7. But is there any other way? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I just bought a generic 3A PSU on Amazon. Works fine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Stomp here but I use a current doubler adapter for Zuma and CS6 on the occasions it goes on my board
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 822
    I just bought a generic 3A PSU on Amazon. Works fine. 
    Don't suppose you have a link to that do you?
  • relic245 said:
    Don't suppose you have a link to that do you?
    Apologies, it was on ebay, not Amazon. Though I reckon these exist on Amazon as well. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164036023219?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=DG5f9oj7TUi&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=GU1dc2hCRDi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2108
    Thanks for the link chap. Just ordered two of them. 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    What's the problem with the supplied PSU? I haven't had any issues.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    Ex-user here. I had mine on a small board and powered it all with GigRig gear. Note that the power plug is the "other" size so you need an adapter if whatever you've got is Boss-sized.
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 822
    First problem for me is that it's too big. 

I like to mount power stuff underneath my pedalboard but couldn't make it work with that and it is now taking up a lot of real estate on top. 

Also for me it's starting to break. If you wiggle the wire near the connector it cuts out. It's been known to do it mid gig with too much vibration. 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    relic245 said:
    First problem for me is that it's too big. 

I like to mount power stuff underneath my pedalboard but couldn't make it work with that and it is now taking up a lot of real estate on top. 

Also for me it's starting to break. If you wiggle the wire near the connector it cuts out. It's been known to do it mid gig with too much vibration. 
    Ok. I get that the shape is a bit awkward but I’m not sure it would be enough to motivate me to buy a new one. But I don’t use it with a pedal board, it sort of is the pedal board.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752

The included one is a joke, mine broke after 7 gigs. I don't know if they are all the same but mine has the ferrite bead placed about 4 inches from where the 2 core DC cable exits the PSU .... any idiot can see what's gonna happen with that arrangement. The insulation will split at the area of most stress and the 2 conductors will short, which is what happened to mine. 

A better PSU option for gig'ing is a nice robust PSU with proper mains inlet and robust round & shielded DC cable ..like a laptop charger. Hipro make some nice 12V ones, I use one originally meant for a  DJ CD mixer
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:

The included one is a joke, mine broke after 7 gigs. I don't know if they are all the same but mine has the ferrite bead placed about 4 inches from where the 2 core DC cable exits the PSU .... any idiot can see what's gonna happen with that arrangement. The insulation will split at the area of most stress and the 2 conductors will short, which is what happened to mine. 

A better PSU option for gig'ing is a nice robust PSU with proper mains inlet and robust round & shielded DC cable ..like a laptop charger. Hipro make some nice 12V ones, I use one originally meant for a  DJ CD mixer
    Same issue here.  I had to resort to a glue gun to secure mine at one point.  Gave up on it.  I've read other people on other forums complain about these PSUs.  
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    Ex user of a Stomp, Cioks DC-7 with a doubler cable into a barrel adapter IIRC.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 641
    I've used an adaptor with both a GigRig Generator and a Strymon Zuma R300. 

GigRig was flawless (was just a pain to isolate other pedals from it). Zuma would often not supply enough current for it to boot, so it would get stuck in a loop without actually getting to the point of being useable. Sometimes it would be fine though.

1000ma (2x500) is clearly borderline for it to boot and would be risky, imo. Don't know if cioks is the same but a GigRig solution (they have a new adapter for it, 'Mr Universe'??) would be my suggestion if you need to fit it under a pedalboard. An expensive rabbit hole to be sure...
  • zimmi_bzimmi_b Frets: 2
    I'm using a True Tone CS6 (the 7 and 12 work too). No problems - just make sure you get the polarity right!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
     ^ me too
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    I used a Gigrig Generator - split one to a L6 adapter to HX, and the other 'line' to combination of daisy chain and isolators as needed for other things. Generator does 5A total so worked well. 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter