Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Marshall DSL 40CR vs JVM 215c combo - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Marshall DSL 40CR vs JVM 215c combo

OnparOnpar Frets: 383
Thinking of getting a Marshall combo for home and rock gigs. Does anyone have any experience with the Marshall DSL40CR and JVM215c?

Both tick a lot of boxes. Wattage is what I need for gigs. Both have a clean, crunch, lead type modes/channels.

The idea would be to ditch my pedals and just use the amp's footswitch. 

Not really bothered about the price difference or where they are manufactured. I'm more interested in how good they sound.

Any opinions are very welcome.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    I've gigged with DSL40cr for past few years.   Very nice amp.  Loads of tonal options from clean to crunch to searing lead.  Emulated out, fx loop, extension cab options, its an ideal combo really.  Does it all.  Reverb is very weak though if that's important.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    I've gigged with DSL40cr for past few years.   Very nice amp.  Loads of tonal options from clean to crunch to searing lead.  Emulated out, fx loop, extension cab options, its an ideal combo really.  Does it all.  Reverb is very weak though if that's important.
    I've played loads of pub gigs and some festivals and always use 40w but never had master beyond halfway.  Plenty load enough.  I played from PINK to WASP.
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 721
    edited July 2023
    I’m selling a JVM205C (2x12 version) if you’re interested and within reach of southeast London.

Actually selling it because I bought a DSL40CR as I currently mostly play at home, both amps sound great but the JVM is just a bit too big and punchy for our tiny spare room even though the master volume works well. It does have side handles so it’s not too bad to carry.
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 383
    Ah I see, it's heavier being a  2 x 12 but easier to carry due to the side handles. Unfortunately I'm in Cambridgeshire.

What are the differences tone wise? 
  • Onpar said:
    Ah I see, it's heavier being a  2 x 12 but easier to carry due to the side handles. Unfortunately I'm in Cambridgeshire.

What are the differences tone wise? 
    Comparing the two ‘middle’ modes of each amp which correspond roughly to JCM800 and boosted JCM800 gain levels, I’d say the JVM has a slightly more modern voicing - it’s a bit smoother/darker and probably has a bit more gain. Through the same speakers there’s not a lot in it. 

The JVM edge of breakup mode is really nice - Marshall describe it as sounding like a JTM45. It doesn’t have a counterpart on the DSL, though you can get in the ballpark with some dialling. 

JVM clean mode has a definite big Fender flavour to it. 

JVM highest gain mode is a bit overcooked for me. 

The reverb on the JVM is much better than the DSL, though I use the reverbs on my GX100 in 4CM in any case. 

If you’re interested I could do a meetup somewhere along the M25? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    The JVM is a big step up in sonic 'authority', if that makes sense. It just sounds effortlessly huge and powerful compared to the DSL, even though the DSL is not at all bad. I haven't tried either in a band situation but I think the difference will be quite noticeable there too. For me, if I could afford and justify the JVM I wouldn't even consider the DSL.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• GassageGassage Frets: 30192
    I'm with ICBM. The JVM is an astonishingly good amp and huge sounding.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.