Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Making a Glow in the Dark Guitar - Not What You Might Think - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Making a Glow in the Dark Guitar - Not What You Might Think

HilditchGuitarsHilditchGuitars Frets: 318
edited July 2023 in Making & Modding
For a long while I wanted to do digital mock ups of guitars but found out very early that I'm frankly crap at that stuff, but luckily I have a friend who is a wizzard with all that jazz so now I'm sorted. 
I also have a friend who is just as crazy as me and we often spend most of our time sat behind the stand at guitar shows thinking of new interesting ideas for guitars. 
Here is one such idea, about to come to life. It never actually started as a glow in the dark idea, but that is where it 'spiraled' (intended pun) to. Not strictly glow in the dark, but close enough for stage lighting ha
It started with a crazy concept...

Mixed with learning about wood that glows under UV light - Robinia, aka Black Locust (featuring my boy looking slightly possessed) 

Mixed with my Uncles brain power. (we've established my lack of digital prowess lol)

Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• So the first obstacle to overcome was getting it cut out, circles are simple enough on a router but a spiral is a whole other ball game. Queue my Uncle and his CNC hehe. 
    Next was how to cut it out on the CNC without sending it everywhere in tiny pieces and we decided to glue it to 9mm ply so it would hold the shape together and also give something to fix to the bed for the cutting.

Walnut

Robinia

Then this can be planed off after the two sides are glued together, as I'm lucky enough to have access to a 16" thicknesser.
    Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter