Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). A pedal for the John Squire fans… - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

A pedal for the John Squire fans…

What's Hot
chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
I was looking at John Squire’ 70s Tele Custom that was for sale briefly and stumbled upon this pedal and it’s got me interested…

I am a massive Squire fan and I also like to spend too much on pedals, so this right up my street….

https://www.britishpedalcompany.com/view-product/lemon-boost

Which is a copy of this…

https://www.denmarkstreetonline.co.uk/product-details/John-Squire-VPW-Fet-Booster

And this is the original blurb… (yeah I’ve been down quite a rabbit hole…)

"Our FET Guitar Pre-Amplifier is a clean boost pedal with a multitude of uses in a smart pedalboard-friendly format. It is an original VPW design.
In addition to the Output Level control, the pre-amp features a six-way ‘Brilliance’ switch that will be familiar to fans of early AC30 and AC15 amplifiers, but with six positions instead of two. This control is a High-Pass filter with six pre-set fixed frequencies. It allows the user to progressively ‘trim’ away the unwanted low frequencies that muddy up the sound and waste amplifier power. The result is a tight, controlled response with a top-end sparkle you may never have heard from your amplifier before. In short, you won’t want to switch it off!
The unit can also be used with the AC30 ‘Normal’ channel to duplicate the response of the ‘Brilliant’ channel, but with increased gain available.
The use of a FET (field effect transistor) allows a 1Meg input impedance to be achieved (similar to a valve amplifier).
Hand-built in England.
Specifications:
Transistor – 1 x JFET
Controls – Output Level, Six-way Brilliance switch, True-Bypass.
Finish – Grey hammer-paint. Traffolite control panel.
LED status indicator – Yes, low-current"
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1385
    Nice to see BPC produce a pedal which seemingly doesnt infringe any copyrights. 
    How very rock and roll
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I wonder what circuit it is though 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    I wonder what circuit it is though 
    According to the above description, it was an original.
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 828
    edited July 2023
    Yeah they all often say that, most are versions of other fx

i will guess it’s this https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/steve-giles-vpw-e-pre-amp-pedal-used-305193910

as a huge Squire fan I am definitely intrigued on what it is 

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    Yeah they all often say that, most are versions of other fx

i will guess it’s this https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/steve-giles-vpw-e-pre-amp-pedal-used-305193910

as a huge Squire fan I am definitely intrigued on what it is 
    Same, I’m really tempted but can’t help but think I’ll take a bath on it if I decide it’s not for me…
  • It’s very pricey for a simple one jfet boost I think 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30022
    edited July 2023
    Worth it for all the amplifeier power it'll save.
    No more wasted amp power on muddy low frequencies.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    Might as well get the guitar to go with it from that nice Mr Harrison...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256118286687
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1239
    edited July 2023 tFB Trader
    Is there a schematic out there?