Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #96 - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #96

Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #96. Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Thanks to @susbemol for this backing track

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

Voting will end at midnight 31st July 2023.

The top three will be announced after the voting closes. No prizes. It's just for fun.

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited July 2023
    Oops, a bit premature as entry closes tonight at midnight. So, if anyone else wants to send an entry before midnight, feel free.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 3775
    @digitalkettle ;5pts a masterpiece of composition and patience getting everything just right from tempo, timing to phrasing to fades etc. Super creative. Well played. Mixing was great, wish i get mine with so much fidelity.

@stratman3142 3pts laid back, kept me chrious as to what was coming

@susbemol 1pt i struggled to work out what type of vibe the backing trqck was calling for and here susbemol revealed it in all its splendor.  

Honourable mentions for @flying_pie ; really loved the cyborg tones and felt a space theme was quite fitting actually, and @Bellycaster very cool ideas in the first section, captured my focus fully. 

• susbemolsusbemol Frets: 339
    5pts - @digitalkettle - lovely call & response idea giving the two parts some space before the more intense ending.
    3 pts - @flying_pie - nice tone and generally the right vibe for the backing track, imho.
    1 pt - @Bellycaster - another good fit, following similar dynamics as the backing track.
    5 points : @digitalkettle : Atmospheric spacey slide. Good layered ideas and tones. Dynamic with a good build up towards the end. Good fit to the backing.

3 points : @flying_pie : Nice sound effects and textures from the guitar. Fat sound. Atmospheric. Another good fit to the backing.

1 point : @susbemol : Gave things a jazzy acoustic slant. Good tones and feel. Had a kind of Earl Klugh vibe to it.

It's not a competition.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    Well done everyone, this was quite a challenge indeed.

5 Points @susbemol - Loved the Acoustic approach, it really filled out the track. Shades of Knopfler in there. Nice touches.

3 Points @digitalkettle - Nice Big sound and great texturing and layering, great runs toward the close.

1 Point @flying_pie - I enjoyed the dramatic nature of it, simple but effective in places. Nicely built up throughout.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1767
    Yet again, it's a challenge to narrow it down to just three

5 points @digitalkettle - for me this fitted that best.  Loved the last section where it really kicked in

3 points @susbemol - would never have thought of acoustic but it worked really well and excellent playing

Choosing 1 point was really tough. In the end @bellycaster just edged out @stratman3142 and his easy listening take, @fastonebaz with the melodic harmonies 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    edited July 2023
    5 pts - @susbemol - I've been trying to be brave enough to do an acoustic entry for a while! Great tone...as mentioned above: reminiscent of LoG-era Knopfler in places

3 pts - @Bellycaster - full of neat ideas...like the rhythmic phrases (e.g. around 0:10)...builds to a crescendo with the ascending legato stuff

1 pt - and a measly one point goes to...erm...always difficult [flips a three-sided coin]...to @stratman3142 with the super ungreasy tone, gentle pace, and Steve Howe ending
    Voting closes tonight at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • Voting closed.

It's not a competition.