Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). George Alagiah RIP - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

George Alagiah RIP

What's Hot
OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
This has really unexpectedly affected me - to the point of tears.  What a lovely man.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24339
    edited July 2023
    Agreed - I’ve just shed a tear reading this also. Very, very sad news - a lovely man indeed.

RIP, Sir.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Just heard.. shocker!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 2921
    RIP George. Lovely on screen persona.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• HaychHaych Frets: 5218
    Sad news indeed.  Rest in peace, George.

I meant April. ~ Simon Weir

Bit of trading feedback here.

• I feel strangely sad to discover from his obituary that I've (we all have) been pronouncing his name wrong all these years.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 9212
    It's probably worth adding that in addition to all of his other enviable traits, he was a really good-looking swine as well  ;)

So many people expressing genuine sorrow and upset at his passing.  It really says everything about the man.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    Sounds like an incredible fight over 9 years….Omnipresent on our screens RIP 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    Sad news and he fought it so bravely.
    RIP George
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 8909
    The tributes from his BBC newsroom colleagues spoke volumes, he was clearly universally liked, and this seems to come across to us viewers as well.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    edited July 2023
    I've always felt like I sort of knew him - although of course I didn't - because many years ago I used to do an audit on "South" magazine and he was one of their full-time correspondents.  When he joined the BBC I thought oh, I recognise that name. 

As everyone's said, he seemed like a very nice man.  There was an inevitability about this but it's very sad news nonetheless.

RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    Handsome ,brave and very lovely man .God bless him .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2295
    Sad to hear. Although I only knew him as a newsreader, he seemed like a genuine and thoroughly decent man. RIP.