Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fender 65 prri speaker swap - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fender 65 prri speaker swap

Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 182
Hi guys has anyone done a speaker swap in a 65 Princeton reverb reissue?  

Just looking to get rid of that harshness in the treble and especially when pushed give it a sweeter tone.  I play blues so looking for a few suggestions.

I see the celestion gold and the eminence allessandro ga10sc64 ones favoured?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    I’m all about clean sounds or driven with an attenuator. I have a Jensen pr10f the fender broken in version and sounds brilliant.  It’s not warm though but not harsh if that makes sense. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have the 12” GA64 in my Deluxe Reverb and it sounds great - plenty of sparkle but nicely balanced, not harsh. I imagine the 10” version would be similarly good in a Princeton (or even the 12” version if you’re up for changing the baffle)
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 584
    Morning,

Ive tried a bundle of different 10 and 12 inch speakers in my old 65 Princeton RI (12 inch will fit with a new baffle board and removal of a small section of the lower batten).

For me the stand out is the 12 inch Alnico Cream, great compliment to the PRRI 
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 353
    edited August 2023
    For 10s, I would try a Celestion Gold alnico or a ceramic green or creamback if you want it dirtier. But the green is less efficient, which may or may not be what you want. For 12s, here's a blue in a Princeton with a few other component changes:
    https://youtu.be/AKrO8gIWIR8
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 182
    Cheers guys I ended up ordering a celestion gold 10 so will see what I think when it’s in.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    I came here to suggest my Emi C Rex 10 which sounds like it'd be the perfect solution to what you said, but I see you're sorted.
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 338
    I put a Weber 10F150 in mine and it's great - louder, tighter bass and a bit more headroom. But I mostly use it cleanish so you might be better off with what you've gone for.