Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Zilla cabs? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Zilla cabs?

What's Hot
Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
edited July 2023 in Amps
I’m considering a new amp and would like a cab to go with it - I can pay the fairly severe price of a cab from the same manufacturer, or go for something similar from Zilla for probably a lower price. As I’m currently experimenting with speakers that makes some sense as I already have a few on hand to use. 

In the dim and distant past I saw a few Zilla cabs that didn’t particularly impress me with their construction, but that was a long time ago. I just wanted to check in with current users on how they see the quality these days?

FWIW I’ll probably be going for a vertical 2x12 with hybrid back or an oval port, though part of me wants to go a bit daft and get a single cab with a 1x12 baffle in the top and 2 diagonal tens in the bottom…
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1170
    Bought a Zilla 1x12 cab ordered to match my 65 DRRI head in 2017. They did a great job, still looks great, gigged regularly (in fact will be gigged tonight and tomorrow). Solid as a rock.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1246
    I've been extremely happy with the quality of my zilla cabs - bought one 5 years ago and they just made me one identical to match. Neither has corner protectors and the tolex finishing is impeccable. Great customer service too.

They may not be cheaper than a brand (depending on the brand) and speakers, although they will probably be higher quality.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1246
    edited July 2023
    2x12 vertical Studio Pros by the way, and they sound wonderful with Creamback 65s. Both 3 panel backs, one has a panel removed to make it open back, the other is closed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    Blackbird look nice but I would like tolex this time around…
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4080
    Look at @Modulus_Amps too.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 357
    The quality of the Zilla’s has definitely improved over the years I’ve been buying them.  Very nice now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
    Interesting - I've been buying Paul's work since he first started out down the road from me and I can't say I've ever had an issue with quality! Either way, their current production stuff at the very least is top notch and highly recommended
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1268
    Tom at Hoffnine is making some cabs again, they're the best I've tried by a good margin. I've a new one coming from him any day now.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    Zilla are brilliant.

Great service from Paul. Highly recommended.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    Very happy with my Fatbaby 1x12, it sounds huge for its size and feels well made.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Nick13Nick13 Frets: 728
    Zilla are excellent.  Got a 2x12 super fatboy for my matamp with v30 and k100 in it and it's comparable to my recto cab. I like it better with that amp actually.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 449
    I bought a Zilla Fat Baby 1x12 a few months ago and couldn’t be happier with it. Paul was very helpful when it came to speaker choice as well
  • Very happy Ported 1x12 user here (with Marshall SC20H)
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    Great feedback, thanks everyone!
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1385
    Yep, I echo the positive comments above. Paul was amazing to deal it too
    How very rock and roll
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 118
    For all those who have Zilla 1x12's are they moving enough air to give you a bit of on stage oomph?
  • markvmarkv Frets: 449
    edited July 2023
    I’m afraid all I can report so far is that mine moves enough air to annoy the whole house…

The Fat Baby is an oversize 1x12" and I ordered it with a 3 piece back. It's running open back at home but with the back closed, I can't imagine it would have any kind of problems projecting on stage!
  • Another vote for the Fat Baby here, I’ve got a vertical convertible one and it moved plenty for my needs at least!