Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Stereo Amps - matching pair, or different amps? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Stereo Amps - matching pair, or different amps?

What's Hot
thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
Hello fellow Fretboarders.

For those of you who run stereo rigs, do you prefer matching amps? 

And as a secondary question, do you record the amps in stereo? I'm curious as to how you find it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1602
    I am much happier now having switched from two matching Marshall SV20C combos to one of those alongside a Vox AC10 or a Tone King Gremlin.

To me different amps that complement each other not only give you a fuller sound but enhance the stereo field too. With two matchers you'll be hearing your (stereo) fx in stereo but unless the amps are set wildly differently tonewise you're just hearing one single sound. Which is fine, just less interesting IMHO.

I haven't recorded live in stereo with a stereo set-up tbh. I wouldn't record them simultaneously anyway. But I don't know why the same principle (different amps>two identical ones) wouldn't also apply there too. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’d say different, as that’s what I use. More fun trialling amps and seeing what sounds you can get. What one amp lacks, another might provide etc. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    Different amps is my preference. One wet and clean, one dry and crunchy. 
    Recording them is easy enough and does a wonderful thing when you pan them out. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 837
    Yeah, I've not spent much time with stereo effects, but this "dual mono" thing sounds huge when set like this.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    Yeah, I've not spent much time with stereo effects, but this "dual mono" thing sounds huge when set like this.
    I believe this is the preferred technique of Keef, and if it’s good enough for the riff-master general himself then who am I to argue? :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1865
    ICBM said:
    My back gave out just looking at that!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    I've run pairs of 1987s, HRDs, JCA20s, Pro Juniors and Blues Juniors over the years but nowadays prefer to mix them up a bit, it just seems to sound bigger. 

I gigged last night with an Origin 50H with 2x12 and a Bandit and it sounded massive, really filling the room without being too loud in the mix. 
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 433
    I prefer different amps, you can really dial in some great tones. Like others have said you can also go wet / dry. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    If you were lucky enough to have 2 cars you wouldn't buy two the same in the same colour.
    What is important is to have 2 that can do very different things to enable the broadest tone palette .
    Set them up and be sure you don't get phase cancellation
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    exocet said:

My back gave out just looking at that!
    To be honest, I never actually took them out of the house at the same time :). It was just a bit of amusement to set them up in stereo in the house when I had the two of them...

They are the same model, but since they're so flexible it's entirely possible to use them either as a matching pair, or set completely differently if you prefer.

When I did actually use a stereo rig live, it was with two Fender Super Champs - just about as far away from the Trem-o-verbs as you can get in terms of size and weight! - and I had them matching, which was easier said than done since the two amps did not sound exactly the same despite being "identical".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Not really 2 amps but I run a Marshall rack rig in stereo. One set is set for fairly dry, the other has delay and reverb. The dry side is mic'ed for FOH , the other side can be adjusted for stage sound without it going up and down in everyones ears.

Years ago we ran Fender amps in stereo chorus, each using 2 x 4 x 12" cabs either side of the stage which sounded massive, but not really my taste these days. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 29588
    Dominic said:

Set them up and be sure you don't get phase cancellation
    I split mine via a Radial Bigshot ABY, which solves that problem. 
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
    ICBM said:

When I did actually use a stereo rig live, it was with two Fender Super Champs

And cue the excuse to post this again.  :)

And an earlier, louder and way more expensive version.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Dodge said:
    ICBM said:

When I did actually use a stereo rig live, it was with two Fender Super Champs

And cue the excuse to post this again.  :)

And an earlier, louder and way more expensive version.

I’d like to have heard them voxes going at the same time!
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1296

I’d like to have heard them voxes going at the same time!

It was awesome, but ridiculously loud (hence the attenuators!)
  • Depends - if you’re running an amp switcher then I’d say two different amps. Two different tonal footprints. If you’re slaving one to another via the loop and a stereo pedal, then the same is fine. The former is cooler and great for big acts and the Bonamassas of the world. The latter suits the likes of me playing down the pub, not having to run multiple boards or stereo chains. A DD7 at the end of your chain, for instance is all you need. One day I’ll try it the ‘proper’ way.
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    Appreciate all the responses gents, thank you. For reference I am running a Marshall SV20h with 2x12 and a Tone King Falcon Grande, well as of about two nights ago anyway :-) I have a Friedman BE100 hanging around and was tempted by a another Tone King currently available on this forum. I used to run a dual-mono rig live actually, with the Friedman and a '71 Twin, a glorious sounding pairing.  
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9128
    ICBM said:
    Least comfortable pouffe setup ever?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 102
    Just found this on TGP:

https://milkmansound.com/collections/amplifiers/products/the-amp-stereo

Very interesting! I love my Victory Copper pedalboard amp, but this has me thinking…
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 139
    I've known you long enough to you know you'll want to explore W/D/W as soon as you've answered this Q
    So just cut to the chase man!
    :-)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 837
    pt22 said:
    Just found this on TGP:

https://milkmansound.com/collections/amplifiers/products/the-amp-stereo

Very interesting! I love my Victory Copper pedalboard amp, but this has me thinking…
    Ah wow, that looks cool. I know an excellent jazz guitarist up north who swears by his Milkman The Amp, sometimes using it in stereo with his Mesa Boogie. This would be very interesting I think!
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2005
    Always different. 

I like to set one dirty and dark and the other cleaner brighter with more reverb. 

Current favourite my 70s Marshall stack with DRRI
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 291
    I use the one amp live, but recording last year in a local studio he recommended two different amps as I didn’t want to do any overdubs/double tracking. So I used my Vox AC50 and Marshall SV20 with a pair of attenuators, similar sounding but different enough to add to the sound.