Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Is it fixable? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Is it fixable?

DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 6724
edited July 2023 in FX
Bought a silver screw Boss CE-2, it arrived, I plugged it in and saw it lit up so put the board away.
Now 2 hours before I need to be at my gig I plug my guitar in to test everything's still working, I realise the CE-2 is just passing signal through with no effect.
I've already got the black screw MIJ CE-2 and when I swap them it works so I've not messed up with my cables or the voltage (tried 9 and 12). The dials just crackle when I move them.
What might be wrong?

I was looking to compare the silver with the black, see there was no difference and sell the silver. Now I see there is a difference, but not really one I think will be looked on positively in a sale situation.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    First guess: the V/2 filter capacitor has died. This is becoming very common with early Boss/Ibanez etc pedals - the bypass path (or the LED) doesn't use the V/2 supply voltage, but the effect does, so if it fails the bypass will still work, but no effect even though the LED comes on.

Best practice is just to change all the electrolytic caps, at the age of this pedal - there are only about half a dozen, from memory.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter