Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Small Klon-y boosts? - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Small Klon-y boosts?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
Quite liked my Klone in a certain setting the other day (I’d previously gone off mid-biased things) but it’s a bit big.

is the Tumnus still the go-to non-Klon-sized thing? If I get something it’ll be standard pedal size at largest. Ta. 
"Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    I've compared the tummnus to a klon and its very close.dont think there's anything smaller. The archer is compact but I've not tried one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 752
    The archer and Tim us both do the Klon thing well.
    Archer is compact, Tumnus even smaller.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3543
    edited July 2023
    EHX Soul Food
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    edited July 2023
    The little Tumnus is a good option. Archer is my go-to Klon simply as I don't like tiny pedals

If you fancy a simple build and a 1-knobber the Pedalparts Alembic Stratoblaster kit is fantastic - a lot like a Klon with gain on zero. Fits easily in a 1590A if you need it to
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1003
    edited July 2023
    The very best klon mini (in my opinion) is the Decibelics Golden Horse. There are plenty of decent products out there which get you in the ballpark but nothing else compares to the original as closely. If you can find a Juan Solo mini klon that gets very close but I believe there are only three in existence (I’ve owned two of them!) and people are generally very reluctant to part with them. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    I still think the RYRA is excellent, but my own choice now is the Nordvang No.1

As an alternative, the Spaceman Atlas III is one of the great 'sleeper' pedals. 
    It adds a little 'something', and is one of my most valuable pedals.
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1239
    tFB Trader
    May I recommend my own Zombie Klone and Golden Eagle. Possibly the best sounding klone available, small form factor and now with top jacks.

https://fredric.co.uk/zombie-klone
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 486
    Archer
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 6476
    Ive got a excellent condition Mosky Golden Horse you are welcome to - £15 plus a little bit of postage ?
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    I have a Juan solo small (not mini) I'll never part with... there are some others than come up for sale . 

Dont get a Juan solo mini - because I want that. 

Otherwise the frederic zombie is very good. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Isn't the MXR Sugar Drive a Klon clone?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 811
    edited July 2023
    timhulio said:
    May I recommend my own Zombie Klone and Golden Eagle. Possibly the best sounding klone available, small form factor and now with top jacks.

https://fredric.co.uk/zombie-klone
    I loved my Zombie Klone and only sold it when I moved to Helix. Will get one again when I’m in the market
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 569
    Either of the Mosky offerings, Golden or Silver Horse.

Less than £30 and do all the Klon-y things you expect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited July 2023
    Ive got a excellent condition Mosky Golden Horse you are welcome to - £15 plus a little bit of postage ?
    @DrCornelius ;If @TimmyO doesnt want it…I’d be happy to take it off your hands!
    Cool - I’m not doing much tonight so the suspense will be killing me :-)
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 2922
    sgosden said:
    I have a Juan solo small (not mini) I'll never part with... there are some others than come up for sale . 

Dont get a Juan solo mini - because I want that. 
    I used to have two of these. I vaguely remember selling one, but not sure if I did or not? Must go and check in my collection...
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    The Decibelics Golden Horse is the best I've tried and is a mini format pedal.  I hate mini pedals so bought the double version (Golden Royale)  
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    Cool - I’m not doing much tonight so the suspense will be killing me :-)
    Go for it Mark - I’ll nose about at demos a bit (appreciate the offer DrC) 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    Nice one TimmyO, I’ll PM you later @markslade07 - ta
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 2884
    Boo KC Klon Centaur?*

https://booinstruments.com/guitar-effects/kc-klon-centaur/

* I have one I would sell…

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 140
    Tone City Bad Horse is a great klone. I only bought a Tumnus due to pedalboard vanity 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7236
    edited July 2023
    Tumnus is the best I heard. I’ve tried quite a few

It thickens up single coils like nothing else I’ve heard. I actually prefer the small pedal over the larger deluxe version. 

I’ve tried the Mosky variants. Close, but no banana. 
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 837
    TheMarlin said:
    Tumnus is the best I heard. I’ve tried quite a few

It thickens up single coils like nothing else I’ve heard. I actually prefer the small pedal over the larger deluxe version. 

I’ve tried the Mosky variants. Close, but no banana. 
    This is interesting, I thought the Mosky Golden Horse was specifically a Tumnus clone (as opposed to a direct Klon klone), but I could be mistaken. Either ways, I like the GH for stacking, but haven't ever really enjoyed it by itself. 
    Nice one TimmyO, I’ll PM you later @markslade07 - ta
    Roger that. 
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 291
    Tumnus for me too.
    excellent for getting them solo’s to cut through.
    also works well as an always in pedal with a cleanish, start of break up sound…just adds a little something extra. 
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 250
    Has anyone tried the TC Zeus? 
    I see it has a fat switch. Also the small (but not unstable small) enclosure with top jacks looks neat.
  • I love my RYRA - so much so that I re-bought it. I have a Tumnus too, but think they’re quite different. nordvang looks cool and in the same bracket and similar size to the RYRA. Golden Horse looks cool, but can’t say I’ve played one. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    eBay provides: 

• MaxA867MaxA867 Frets: 19
    The Archer is a great mini Klon but mine doesn’t play nicely with digital delay/reverbs. I’ve tried it with a Flashback, DD-200, Timeline and Source Audio Collider and with all of them you get some kind of high pitched background hum/whining which goes away once you remove the Archer from the chain. I’ve read of others encountering similar gremlins so just something to be aware of if you use a delay on your board!