Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). 70s rickenbacker bass copy wiring - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

70s rickenbacker bass copy wiring

Can anyone help me sort out the wiring on this Japanese 70s rickenbacker bass copy. 

The bridge pickup cuts out and  when it does work has a low output, there is also some hum  which goes away when I touch the jack plate. 

I am guessing  that the back of the pots should be all connected in a "loop" to the wire coming from under the bridge? But is there anything else I should look at. 

. Thankzs
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Yes, that’s bad grounding. In theory the shielding foil on the pickguard is meant to provide the common ground - in practice, contact between the pots and the foil can be erratic. It’s best to connect all the pot casings together - and despite some popular belief, this does not cause a ground loop if the shielding is not isolated from them.

The tone pots should ideally be A500K not B250K - Rickenbacker did use mismatched volume and tone pot values, and A (audio/log) works best for tone controls. They do appear to be original though, so if you don’t use the tone controls much it’s best to leave alone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680

Here's a link to the RIC wiring schematic for a 4001 bass.
    http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/19507.pdf

ICBM said:
    Yes, that’s bad grounding. In theory the shielding foil on the pickguard is meant to provide the common ground - in practice, contact between the pots and the foil can be erratic. It’s best to connect all the pot casings together - and despite some popular belief, this does not cause a ground loop if the shielding is not isolated from them.

The tone pots should ideally be A500K not B250K - Rickenbacker did use mismatched volume and tone pot values, and A (audio/log) works best for tone controls. They do appear to be original though, so if you don’t use the tone controls much it’s best to leave alone.

I agree that it's a good idea to have Gnd wires to all pot bases rather than rely on the mechanical contact to the shielding; if any of the pots have become loose they could've worn it away to make a poor connection.
    I also think that the could possibly be a contact between the legs/wires of green Treble pickup's cap and the Bass pickup's body, as it seems to be stretched across and pass very close; if that is the case, a bit of masking tape there would do the trick.
    Regarding the posts, it's a moot point whether they should be 250k or 500k and A (audio/log) or B (linear); if you look at the above schematic, you'll see that Rickenbacker couldn't make their minds up and opted to go for 330k (ie. somewhere in the middle!).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    prowla said:

Regarding the posts, it's a moot point whether they should be 250k or 500k and A (audio/log) or B (linear); if you look at the above schematic, you'll see that Rickenbacker couldn't make their minds up and opted to go for 330k (ie. somewhere in the middle!).
    They do now - I don’t know the changeover date but I think it’s in the 1990s. Older ones used the 250K volume/500K tone setup, which I think works better - it’s slightly fuller but also clearer, if that makes sense.

Regardless of value, linear pots don’t work well as tone controls - all the sweep is at the bottom end of the turn. The exception is for very low values - 50K or possibly 100K - used for a deliberately ‘jazzy’ tone, eg in the rhythm circuit of a Fender Jazzmaster/Jaguar, where the whole pot turn is that low-end range by design.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson