Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Tony Bennett - Tributes Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Tony Bennett

What's Hot
DodgeDodge Frets: 1296
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• SRichSRich Frets: 751
    Fare thee well Anthony Dominick Benedetto...........another one for the Heavenly Choir

RIP

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    RIP indeed. What a legend.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    One of the greats. Saw him several times, and I've often said the first (in Princes Street  Gardens, with Diana Krall as support) was the best live concert I've seen. RIP.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8107
    What a voice.

RIP Tony.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    What a voice….RIP MR B 
  • RIP
  • Power-BeefPower-Beef Frets: 214
    RIP

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    There are many great singers from many era's - Then there is Tony Bennett - You can bring Como, Sinatra, Martin, Darren, Davis Jnr and may more into any discussion about who might be the greatest, especially from the crooners era, but Tony tops the lot

He might have left his heart in San Fransisco, but he  left his voice on a host of recordings that will be played for ever 

My dad saw him a few times life in the UK - Unfortunately I didn't

Time to find him on my play list for some great songs - What a voice - Thanks for so many memories - RIP Tony
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    Perfectly put @guitars4you, he was always head and shoulders above all for me. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    Have they ever done a Tony Bennett biopic?  It would have to be De Niro to play him, surely.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5092
    Philly_Q said:
    Have they ever done a Tony Bennett biopic?  It would have to be De Niro to play him, surely.
    I would love to see that. I have no idea what De Niro’s singing voice is like but I’m imagining Lee Marvin for some reason 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1082
    Lee Marvin's voice was something else ...

But of course, nothing like the sheer cultured crooning that Tony Bennett brought to the table. RIP

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    RIP indeed.  What a fabulous singer he was, so relaxed yet controlled, and a good judge of a great song, too, e.g The Good Life, The Days Of Wine And Roses, and so many more.

"I left my heart in Charnock Richard", as we used to sing...

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 12794
    tFB Trader
    Many great albums to listen to - I bet my dad had more than me - My step mum still has his album/cd collection so I'll have to visit later to see what I can borrow

My fav is 'Playing with friends' - A collaboration

1. "Alright, Okay, You Win" (Mayme Watts, Sidney Wyche) – 3:31 (duet with Diana Krall)
    2. "Everyday (I Have the Blues)" (Peter Chatman) – 3:38 (duet with Stevie Wonder)
    3. "Don't Cry Baby" (Saul Bernie, James P. Johnson, Stella Unger) – 2:43
    4. "Good Morning Heartache" (Ervin Drake, Dan Fisher, Irene Higginbotham) – 4:56 (duet with Sheryl Crow)
    5. "Let the Good Times Roll" (Fleecie Moore, Lovin' Sam Theard) – 3:14 (duet with B.B. King)
    6. "Evenin'" (Mitchell ParishHarry White) – 4:14 (duet with Ray Charles)
    7. "I Gotta Right to Sing the Blues" (Harold ArlenTed Koehler) – 3:55 (duet with Bonnie Raitt)
    8. "Keep the Faith, Baby" (Luchi de Jesus, Lila Lerner, Watts) – 3:51 (duet with k.d. lang)
    9. "Old Count Basie Is Gone (Old Piney Brown Is Gone)" (Joe Turner) – 3:24
    10. "Blue and Sentimental" (Count BasieMack DavidJerry Livingston) – 3:20 (duet with Kay Starr)
    11. "New York State of Mind" (Billy Joel) – 4:30 (duet with Billy Joel)
    12. "Undecided Blues" (Jimmy Rushing) – 3:17
    13. "Blues in the Night" (Arlen, Johnny Mercer) – 3:33
    14. "Stormy Weather" (Arlen, Koehler) – 4:34 (duet with Natalie Cole)
    15. "Playin' with My Friends" (Robert Cray, Dennis Walker) – 4:47

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7208
    Glastonbury legend
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I used to be the house photographer for a concert hall with amazing acoustics and a few brave performers would put down their mics and sing a song or two with no amplification (the place was that good). During Bennett's show he said he was going to do a couple of songs, just him and his piano player. He did that for over half an hour and it was phenomenal.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2506
    guyinlyon said:
    I used to be the house photographer for a concert hall with amazing acoustics and a few brave performers would put down their mics and sing a song or two with no amplification (the place was that good). During Bennett's show he said he was going to do a couple of songs, just him and his piano player. He did that for over half an hour and it was phenomenal.

He used to do that in almost all his concerts, he'd put down his mic and sing one song without amplification, filling a big hall.  He was still doing it into his eighties, I saw him a couple of times.  It was a bit of a gimmick, slightly out of keeping with most of his act which was all about subtle phrasing, but it was impressive. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 3605
    RIP  thought he would just go on and on