Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Vini Reilly Interview - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Vini Reilly Interview

What's Hot

Comments

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    @oh_pollo Thanks so much for posting this- I regularly browse the Guardian pages, but I hadn't seen it yet. 

What a poignant interview. I know Vini's had his health problems, but in the photos those eyes are burning bright, which is good to see. 

Lovely photo of him and Bruce Mitchell too. Mitchell's a fine drummer and comes across as an even finer human being. 

Looks like I'm going to be listening to Vini and the Durutti column all weekend, then...

If anyone hasn't heard any of Vini Reilly's playing, do yourself a favour and give it a try. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    ^ Agree about Bruce Mitchell. I met him when he was with Alberto Y Lost Trios Paranoias while I was working for Durham Students Union in 1981.
    Genuinely lovely bloke & absolutely bloody hilarious too, as was the late CP Lee & the rest of the band.
    Vini Reilly has always been a unique talent & even if he is struggling now, has a hugely influential back catalogue to appreciate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    Thanks for posting.
    Been listening once again to the Durutti Column while reading and listening now.
    It's nice to know Vini is still about.  I wish I'd got to see him play live. 
    Soundtrack to a lot of my life. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 11799
    I saw Vini in a beer garden in Manchester about 20 yrs ago, he stood out like a sore thumb, just so different looking, sat on the floor with his legs crossed  I built up the courage to have a brief chat with him, he was very nice and quiet, and with another bloke and a beautiful but equally as ethereal looking woman, I asked for some advice on playing and he said grow your nails, lifted his hand up and I swear it looked like the hand of a Witch, his nails were about an inch long, I think this was during a period of him not playing, he laughed and said try to keep them cleaner than mine though. They were pretty grubby. He is a one off. 

As an addendum to this story it was only when I went back to my wife she said, why didn't you say hello to Dr Who? The other bloke he was with was Chris Eccleston. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    @Grunfeld I only saw VR/ Durutti Column live once. It was the Leicester Square Theatre, and I was pretty close to the front to check out the great man's chops! 

My main impression/ memory is that- while a lot is said about bands/ performers/ players mixing light and shade/ heavy and light/ hard and soft in their music- VR really is a player capable of very tender playing, but when he cuts loose and gets heavy he really is wild. He's a master musician- in sort of Jeff Beck or Steve Vai territory for conjuring the unexpected.