Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). H&K Tubemeister 36 - Clean Channel Volume Loss - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

H&K Tubemeister 36 - Clean Channel Volume Loss

What's Hot
abw1989abw1989 Frets: 569
I've had this amp for over five years and it's never missed a beat. Recently however seem to be turning up the clean channel volume to get it any where close to matching the output of the other two channels. I've even got an EQ in the FX loop set to a 4dB boost when the clean channel is engaged to give it a further lift.

I noticed yesterday that my constant turning has resulted in the clean channel volume being almost dimed, and still with the boost in the loop...! The tone is still 'clean' however it isn't breaking up, the gain for the clean channel is around 10 o'clock. I get the same response on all power soak levels, very quiet clean channel. My other two channels aren't set outrageously loud either, volume is around 10 o'clock for both.

I've checked the tube control system and it isn't reporting anything untoward, a slight bias drift in the inner matched pair but well within tolerance. All the tubes glow equally and there is no discolouration in any of them.

Is it worth replacing the tubes any way as a matter of course, or is there anything else this could be that I could have a go at without getting a tech involved?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    If it’s a valve fault it will be a preamp valve - the monitoring system is for the power valves. The easiest way to test for that is to get one spare 12AX7/ECC83 and substitute it for each of the preamp valves in turn.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 569
    Thanks @ICBM ;

Any particular valve make/brand you recommend that is going to give a miraculous and incredible upheaval in tone like they all claim to do? It seems Sovtek, JJ and TAD are all fairly available and a similar price. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    abw1989 said:

Any particular valve make/brand you recommend that is going to give a miraculous and incredible upheaval in tone like they all claim to do? It seems Sovtek, JJ and TAD are all fairly available and a similar price. 
    In that amp it’s probably not going to make a huge difference, although I haven’t tried different types in them. I’d probably go with JJ as they’re reliable and seem to be what the amp was supplied with.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson