Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NGD - Acoustics Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NGD

What's Hot
WafflesOnHorsebackWafflesOnHorseback Frets: 62
edited September 2023 in Acoustics
Hehe, as a newbie I didn't cotton on to what NGD meant. I figured it out eventually. I am not the sharpest tool in the box.

Anyway, bought this pretty little thing from Coda a couple of days back. Collings 002H. Just the sort of sound I was after and it is really lovely to play. 

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3380
    Lovely. I'm intrigued whether the maple neck adds something to it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WafflesOnHorsebackWafflesOnHorseback Frets: 62
    edited July 2023
    Lovely. I'm intrigued whether the maple neck adds something to it. 
    It certainly seems to. I think alot of it is the mind though, you know, sometimes you just gel with a guitar (which is why we all buy different guitars!). But it's size and feel very much reminded me of a Robert Bouchet I borrowed for a week many years ago. It just suited my tastes really well. To my ears it sounded far superior to the more expensive sunburst Collings 002H Traditional that's in there - it's warm, punchy and clear but then again I am nearly deaf. I'll try and post a sound example when I get a sec.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Very pretty, looks like a joy to own.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 967
    Beautiful. 
  • camfcamf Frets: 1175
    Lovely 
  • CastroCastro Frets: 446
    I played this guitar probably a day or two before you. A very lovely instrument indeed.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4353
    How do you like the 12 fret neck join in terms of access and sound? Looks great!
  • Castro said:
    I played this guitar probably a day or two before you. A very lovely instrument indeed.
    Yeah, I think a few here played it on the way to their various Coda purchases. So many gorgeous guitars in there. Did you get anything while you were there?
  • How do you like the 12 fret neck join in terms of access and sound? Looks great!
    Been a revelation actually. It has made playing more of a pleasure. My Martin has a good sound but it is not that nice to play.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 595
    edited July 2023
    That's great Waffles. Lovely wood.

Think something like that is going to be my next guitar. I have been looking at open headstock OO's/Grand Concerts lately having found my default dreadnoughts have been getting a bit more uncomfortable to play as I age and having had so much fun from a cheap Vintage OO I bought last spring. Even find OO's more comfortable than my OM too now.

There is a bit of a gap in the market in mid-range between top flight OO's like your lovely one and then sub-£500 instruments where there are a few.

Eastwood fitting the bill most closely at about £1,400 with their E20 OO for my fingerpicking with fingerpicks preference. Haven't played one yet but there's a couple tempting me at Peach in Colchester at the moment!

Did you (or anyone) find much else in £1-2K range when you were looking? Specifically open headstock OO's.
    edited July 2023
    DavidR said:

Think something like that is going to be my next guitar. I have been looking at open headstock OO's/Grand Concerts lately having found my default dreadnoughts have been getting a bit more uncomfortable to play as I age 

Yeah, good point. That's what I'm finding. 

Didn't see anything in the 1-2k range but then again went in to check out the 2 lovely Lowden F50s they had (very big contrast between the two I have to say). Didn't intend getting the 002 but once in the hands it was like getting into some cosy furry slippers - as opposed to playing my Martin which would be the equivalent of hiking in ill-fitting boots.

Peach guitars - this looks nice!

https://www.peachguitars.com/eastman-traditional-e10oo-00-natural.htm
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1513
    That's a beauty, love a bit of maple! 
    Look forward to hearing how it sounds. 
    I think 12 fret sounds inherently better for fingerstyle. Punchier, a real growl. Not AS good for strumming. But I prefer it. 
    It's easier to play the cowboy chords. But coming up to frets 7+ it starts feeling cramped toward the body (whereas on a 14 fret the hand feels far out when playing the cowboy chords). A cutaway often doesn't help imo as the heel gets in the way. Is 13 fret a great compromise or not the best of either world? It's an interesting one!
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4121
    Wow, congrats that is spectacular mate! I have really enjoyed all the maple acoustics I have played. I think it is maybe the most misunderstood tone wood, not automatically harsh or bright like lots of people think. Actually, clear and warm is closer to the mark in most cases I have played. If I could only have one acoustic, it would need to be something like Mahogany or Maple. Have had all sorts of rosewood guitars, and have done all the various ‘exotic’ versions, but I think there is sometimes a bit too much going on with the overtones.
    I think 12 fret sounds inherently better for fingerstyle. Punchier, a real growl. Not AS good for strumming. But I prefer it. 
    It's easier to play the cowboy chords. But coming up to frets 7+ it starts feeling cramped toward the body (whereas on a 14 fret the hand feels far out when playing the cowboy chords). A cutaway often doesn't help imo as the heel gets in the way. Is 13 fret a great compromise or not the best of either world? It's an interesting one!
    A 13 fret guitar is actually quite an old design, there were some 13 fret Nick Lucas guitars made by Gibson in the 1920's.

I've never tried one but I regret not buying the Recording King versions when they were sold for good prices. 

I find the 12 fret 00 to have the best place for the bridge for ergonomics for playing fingerstyle. A 14 fret is more balanced for playing with a pick IMO.
    DavidR said:

Think something like that is going to be my next guitar. I have been looking at open headstock OO's/Grand Concerts lately having found my default dreadnoughts have been getting a bit more uncomfortable to play as I age 

Yeah, good point. That's what I'm finding. 

Didn't see anything in the 1-2k range but then again went in to check out the 2 lovely Lowden F50s they had (very big contrast between the two I have to say). Didn't intend getting the 002 but once in the hands it was like getting into some cosy furry slippers - as opposed to playing my Martin which would be the equivalent of hiking in ill-fitting boots.

Peach guitars - this looks nice!

https://www.peachguitars.com/eastman-traditional-e10oo-00-natural.htm
    I've got this very guitar! I have one of the early ones that has a 25 year old red spruce soundboard from 
    Old Standard, who also supply Collings etc. 
    edited July 2023
    @earwighoney you reckon 12 fret OO better than say, 12 fret OM? Or just using OO as a reference body? P.s. I will reply to pm trail lol. I agree with your 12/14 fingerstyle/pick analysis

I would love an OO but never tried one. My 12 fret parlour is epic sounding though smaller body means elbow doesn't rest  naturally like on an OM... Also, while I'm at it... Is a 12 fret OM effectively the same as an OOO which is usually a 12 fret guitar!?

Re maple hmmmmm I have not tried one. If in same league as mahogany then I'm interested. I assumed they were full of high frequency content which would hurt my ears. Misconception!?
    @earwighoney you reckon 12 fret OO better than say, 12 fret OM? Or just using OO as a reference body? P.s. I will reply to pm trail lol. I agree with your 12/14 fingerstyle/pick analysis

I would love an OO but never tried one. My 12 fret parlour is epic sounding though smaller body means elbow doesn't rest  naturally like on an OM... Also, while I'm at it... Is a 12 fret OM effectively the same as an OOO which is usually a 12 fret guitar!?

Re maple hmmmmm I have not tried one. If in same league as mahogany then I'm interested. I assumed they were full of high frequency content which would hurt my ears. Misconception!?
    Sorry, I made a mistake I should have written 'favourite' not 'best'.  I have a 12 fret O which I like but I find a touch small. I find my OM can be a bit large at times, I'm a short man though!

I've only tried the one 12 fret OM (a Blueridge) and one 12 fret 000 (a Recording King), they are really thin on the ground. They aren't the same thing, an OM has a larger upper bout than the 12 fret 000.  

Maple is different to mahogany. Not better or worse but different.  I've never played a guitar like the one in the OP, I bet it is glorious. Collings makes wonderful guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2023
    I did a quick doodle whilst rain stopped play. Sound isn't very good tho as done on phone 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HonkycatHonkycat Frets: 4
    Sounds really nice and full for a smaller guitar!
  • ChoivertChoivert Frets: 45
    Sounds great. Has a lovely resonance and the interplay between the strings is really nice, lovely balance too. 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    I did a quick doodle whilst rain stopped play. Sound isn't very good tho as done on phone 

Very modest of you but that is some excellent playing compared to a hack like me.
    That sounds fantastic!
  • PCT57PCT57 Frets: 26
    Looks lovely and sounds very nice indeed. Congratulations!
  • Thanks for the kind comments. Good to get some feedback when you buy a new guitar I reckon. My hearing isn't great and I'm not 100% sure if I'm really hearing a good guitar or my ears have EQ'd it just right to my taste :) 
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 172
    Lovely balanced sound & nice playing. One to enjoy.

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4121
    Beautiful, sounds fabulous mate. Warm and balanced, and you can be sure the build quality does not get any better. I have had quite a few Collings and it’s hard to understand how something can be made that perfectly from a material like wood.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    Maple-tastic! Love the slotted headstock aesthetic (restringing them, not so much).
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587

You seem to have on a santa outfit with work trousers...a novel look, I grant you.

Sounds great too ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 182
    Congrats on the pretty Collings