Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Rubber bridges - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Rubber bridges

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 15793
edited July 2023 in Making & Modding
This goes against everything I have wanted from my guitar builds for the last 20 years, but I'm going to have a play with making a rubber bridge or two

First things first - the rubber.  It's a Jewelers rubber bench block, very hard - still bounced when posted through the letterbox

These are the guitars I will be playing with. 

For both I will do a simple rubber bridge to see how it sounds, just a strip of rubber to replace the bridge/saddles.  Then I will try and finesse them into something that intonates, at least roughly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    There must be a reason for this?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    Roland said:
    My first thought was slightly more succinct.

"Why?"
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Roland said:
    He wants to bring out his inner Aaron Dessner* :) a lot of the guitars on Folklore used a rubber bridge. Bit more here: https://reverb.com/news/the-rubber-bridge-guitars-taking-over-indie-music

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    edited July 2023
    Sure, it's a very popular thing in modern indie music.

I took a slice off the block and shoved it under the archtop strings.

It has no right to sound decent, but somehow it does.   Obviously no sustain to speak of, but it gives a nice warm lo-fi tone straight off the bat.

The main thing I want to know from this is how this rubber holds up to tension before I do more with it.  Also seeing the best way to cut and shape it.   The bandsaw worked well.   I may try the laser on it soon
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • camfcamf Frets: 1175
    @WesV Can I have one too?  =)
    camf said:
    The aim here is to see if I can do a version that works with standard parts. 

For example, it would be good to have something that could drop in place of a Tune o matic without modification, or replace the saddles on a tele.   Ideally still being adjustable for action and intonation.

I’d been pondering putting one on an acoustic. You wouldn’t want to overdo it but I really like the distinctive sound, especially for recording. 
  • WezV said:
    camf said:
    The aim here is to see if I can do a version that works with standard parts. 

For example, it would be good to have something that could drop in place of a Tune o matic without modification, or replace the saddles on a tele.   Ideally still being adjustable for action and intonation.

How hard is it? Might sound daft, but could you just make rubber 'barrels' to go one screw some how? essentially just replacing what's there?
    Like wise for ToM, replace the saddles?

Could be way off but it's my fist thought lol
    Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It's very hard, but I want to see how it wears.

I don't think individual TOM saddles would have enough strength, so I'm thinking of a rubber topper on a solid base.

As an example, Waterslide guitars make this.

• There you go, something like that. 
    Cool stuff
    Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    WezV said:
    It's very hard, but I want to see how it wears.

I don't think individual TOM saddles would have enough strength, so I'm thinking of a rubber topper on a solid base.

As an example, Waterslide guitars make this.

Mmmm... liquorice bridges  :3 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Being slightly serious, might not a black hot glue stick (7mm) do a similar job to the Waterslide effort?
    I'm not sure it would be hard enough, or stay that way on a warm stage.

• barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 557
    WezV said:
    Have you seen Jake Wildwood's work? Worth a look for some ideas. The bridges are quite ugly, but they seem to work.

Also saw the other day that someone (didn't register who and it would take ages to go back and find the post!) is making a neatly machined, magnetic, rubber mute that snaps on top of the saddles to achieve the same sort of effect.
    I hadn't, but shall take a look.

I will say my 2 minute experiment with a block of £10 material  has already given pretty impressive results. 
    WezV said:

Possibly, but if you are gigging at ambient temperatures consistently above 70°C then you have my respect  ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    That jeweller's pad material ought to make excellent string mutes for RIC 4001 and older Musicman Stingray bass guitars.
    Be seeing you.
    barnstorm said:
    WezV said:
    Have you seen Jake Wildwood's work? Worth a look for some ideas. The bridges are quite ugly, but they seem to work.

Also saw the other day that someone (didn't register who and it would take ages to go back and find the post!) is making a neatly machined, magnetic, rubber mute that snaps on top of the saddles to achieve the same sort of effect.
    Rubberised magnets like those used in pickups, fridge magnets etc. should do. No?
    WezV said:

Possibly, but if you are gigging at ambient temperatures consistently above 70°C then you have my respect  ;) 
    Give them a go and let us know if it works

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 557
    barnstorm said:
    WezV said:

Rubberised magnets like those used in pickups, fridge magnets etc. should do. No?
    Maybe? I don't know what's available off the shelf and how 'shapeable' it is, or how strongly magnetised. This gadget was made to get the rubber pads in the right place with the right downward pressure on the strings, and the whole thing was slim so as not to get in the way of your picking hand.
    barnstorm said:
    barnstorm said:
    WezV said:

Maybe? I don't know what's available off the shelf and how 'shapeable' it is, or how strongly magnetised. This gadget was made to get the rubber pads in the right place with the right downward pressure on the strings, and the whole thing was slim so as not to get in the way of your picking hand.
    I don't know either, but fair play to you for not dismissing that which you don't know or aren't certain of  ;)
    archtop bridge 2 - a rubber topper on wooden bridge plate.  I added some basic intonation

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Looking good, sounding better? 
    It still gives the right sound, but obviously allows for more set up adjustment.  

From here I can potentially add a radius to the wooden section, then glue the rubber to that.

The strings cut into the rubber a bit.   Apparently this is okay, some even wanting them fully buried in it.  I'm not sure yet.   I think they may cut less when using the smoother face of the rubber.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Could you let something into the rubber at the points where the strings contact? Maybe a small diameter dowel. Alternatively harden the contact point with CA glue?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Also, tried laser cutting the rubber.   It didn't quite make it through the full thickness. 

It cuts fine with a sharp knife though, so may stick to that.

Needs to be prettier too.  But the material tests are telling me what I need to do next
    Roland said:
    Could you let something into the rubber at the points where the strings contact? Maybe a small diameter dowel. Alternatively harden the contact point with CA glue?
    Maybe.   I'm curious what will happen if I just flip it upside down and have wood side up.