Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Best overdrive/distortion/boost for MORE Marshall Reverb 75 5275. - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Best overdrive/distortion/boost for MORE Marshall Reverb 75 5275.

What's Hot
BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
edited July 2023 in FX
Just picked up this beast of an amp and it's great fun.

I love the sound I get with the gain maxed. It's great for chunky rhythm and less than full on shred lead tones.

I'm looking for something "off the shelf" that will give me an extra level of gain for those moments when I'm looking for MORE without changing the basic tone and distortion characteristics of the amp. I'm not looking for more volume, just an extra level of grit and saturation. I don't mind if there's an extra level of compression as that's unavoidable in most cases but I don't want so much "squish" that it changes the feel of the amp.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Boss SD-1.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 568
    Have you considered a treble booster ? 
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    ICBM said:
    Boss SD-1.
    I'll give one a go, cheers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    maharg101 said:
    Have you considered a treble booster ? 
    Funnily enough I had a rummage around and found a double booster I built years ago. One side is a "Brian May Treble Booster" though I can't remember exactly which circuit I used, and the other is a SHO. They both sound great, and even better stacked!
    That sounds right @BigPaulie.

Most treble boosters I've had have been very good at delivering "the same, but more". I've never stacked two together though ! :) 
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    The other option which you might consider is a little counter intuitive. A volume drop, something like the Vein-Tap Leech, or even a GE-7 dialled back for less volume.

The idea being that you set your amp for "more" then kick in the pedal for "less".
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    I've just tried the amp with a Marshall GV-2 with the C22 mod and I'm liking the result muchly!