Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). HX Stomp XL switching presets mid gig while in snapshot mode - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

HX Stomp XL switching presets mid gig while in snapshot mode

What's Hot
Before I consider resetting my unit, I thought I'd consult the hive mind.

I run a HX stomp in the middle of my board to handle a bit of gain, but mostly easy modulation switching on and off with one standard preset running in snapshot mode. Mid gig last night my HX Stomp XL when I was going from snapshot 2 to 1 something didn't sound right, and looking down I noticed that the unit had switched to a completely different preset and was now in my Acoustic patch.

I'm pretty (like 110% sure) sure I didn't accidentally hit a different button to take it out of snapshot mode. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Would a factory reset help? Is it sounding like a duff unit, or anything else?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    Mid Gig, Occam's razor suggests that you did accidentally hit a different button and change the preset. I'm forever getting into strange pedal states in the middle of gigs - I'll look down and somehow a drive knob's been turned right down or something.

If it did do it itself, it seems so unique and specific a bug that I'd suggest the HAL 9000 tactic of just running it as normal and seeing if and when it happens again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    I'm not familiar with the Stomp but I've used a Helix for several years and the other guitarist uses an HX FX.  In my experience the most likely cause is that you've accidentally stepped on FS1 + FS2 together and switched modes.  I've done it so many times.

When the other guitarist got his HX I told him - make sure that you have the correct footwear (definitely not trainers)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3376
    Vintage-T said:

I'm pretty (like 110% sure) sure I didn't accidentally hit a different button to take it out of snapshot mode.
    110% isn't sure enough.  Unless you've got independant wittnesses and video evidence to the contary then that's what you've done ;)

• Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 402
    I've just retested the unit. Not only is it switching presets, it's also selecting another snapshot (ie. I press 1 and 4 becomes active)

I might reach out to where I bought it and see if an exchange can be done.
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 597
    Sounds like you do have an issue somewhere so hopefully you can get it sorted/replaced.

I was going to say that I have a standard Stomp, and was forever getting myself into trouble at gigs. I’d use snapshot mode but accidentally hit two switches at once which then changes preset/brings up the preset list. Then I’d need to try and figure out which preset I was currently using while also trying to play whatever guitar part I’m supposed to be playing. 

Annoying!
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 6976
    edited July 2023
    this reminds me of situations in the RAF where cockpits are being disassembled because something happened "all by itself" and definitely wasn't due to a wrong or bizarre switch combination having been engaged accidentally by the person reporting the fault. 

the gag was that even switches and buttons behind switchguards or on opposite sides of the cockpit were only "aircrew-resistant" from being operated incorrectly. 

to be "aircrew-PROOF" they needed to be on the outside of the aircraft.

(joking aside, you would never write something off as 'probably pilot error' - the required response was to proceed assuming the pilot is infallible - there's too much at risk to assume otherwise) 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter