Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Using a drive pedal - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Using a drive pedal

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4843
Do you switch on your drive pedal and regulate the drive using your guitar’s volume control or do you step on the pedal for a volume boost?

Asking for a friend....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281

12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    Either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 1965
    A bit of both I guess.  I usually start with the guitar volume at about 2/3 so there's always some volume/gain in reserve.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    Depends what the pedal is and how the amp is set. I generally preset the drive and run the guitar at full, sometimes ride the volume with or without pedals. A fuzz face allows a lot of variation a fuzz factory changes squeal pitch on volume roll down.

Then there's pickup type, twin channel drivers, boosters, geranium boosters and overdrive, running three boosters together...

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 557
    edited July 2023
    Depends on so many things in the signal chain. Even depends on the song I'm playing. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    It depends on the pedal, and the guitar and the amp and what I'm playing. 

For my live pedalboard I mostly keep everything on 10 on the guitar and turn pedals on & off to get louder and/or more dirty sounds as required. For that setup I use an Origin Revival Drive Compact (which makes my Fender amp sound more like a Marshall) and a Vemuram Jan Ray (which just pushes everything a bit harder and makes whatever you're playing sound bigger and fatter - mostly for solos). Sometimes I'll also run a clean boost which is there purely to make everything louder without adding distortion. That's mostly with a Strat or ES-330

At home last night I was plugged into just a Benson Preamp, and would use the guitar's controls to adjust the sound, turning down to get a bit cleaner, and turning up for solo passages. This was using a Gibson CS-336 with PAF-style humbuckers

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
    With my band, I'm currently singing 80% of the songs and we have some extreme changes in guitar sounds mid-song. The structure of the songs means I don't have time to adjust the guitar quickly enough most of the time, so - for performance - I'm using presets (Boss ES-5) and pedals to change volumes, boost etc. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    I turn on the pedal for more filth at the same volume.

Guitar volume always at 10. Otherwise you're wasting some of the output of your pickups, and that's morally wrong. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    With a drive pedal in front of the amp at some point it does not add any more volume, it just gives more dirt and a lot more compression.

The popular TS into an already overdriven amp does that. Then for a volume boost you need something in the FX loop instead. Either a simple level boost (no extra drive) or an EQ pedal is very good for that.

How the overdrive is used is user and amp based. Some people keep the pedal drive low and crank the output so it's really boosting / compressing the input of the amplifier. Others add all the pedal drive but keep the pedal output low.

There's no rules.

Well apart from...

Sporky said:

Guitar volume always at 10. Otherwise you're wasting some of the output of your pickups, and that's morally wrong. 

and

Guitar>Drive at max>JCM800 dimed.

Just can't beat that. Loads of filth but with a clarity and string separation that a lot of modern high gain amps just can't do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    Sporky said:
    I agree!
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    I never have my guitar volume knob at 10 - it's always backed off  2/3 and then I take it from there.
    When using my channel switching amp - I use a Boss SD-1 (high level, low gain) into the drive channel for a (creamy) lead boost for solos. I NEVER use this on the clean channel - it sounds brittle / harsh to me.

At tonight's rehearsal I'll use the SD-1 with the gain higher and the level backed off so as to add a makeshift crunch channel to my (single channel)  Fender Pro Junior when I step on it. For lead boosts I'll max my guitar volume knob.
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    Sporky said:

LOL!

Spoken like a true pedal-head! :-D
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 417
    I tend to back volume and tone off to about 8 on humbucker equipped guitars, but usually when using a fuzz first in chain or an amp-like distortion pedal. Mainly to get a touch of filth with nice separation, then up to 10 for soloing. This all changes if I'm singing though, too much to think about so everything flat out letting the pedals do the work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    BigPaulie said:
    Sporky said:

LOL!

Thank you. 

Other fine approaches exist and work, but my fingers are confused enough with normal duties - adjusting switches and knobs while playing is like trying to play the accordian and knit at the same time. Whereas stamping on things is more or less doable. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 733
    Sporky said:
    BigPaulie said:
    Sporky said:

LOL!

Thank you. 

Other fine approaches exist and work, but my fingers are confused enough with normal duties - adjusting switches and knobs while playing is like trying to play the accordian and knit at the same time. Whereas stamping on things is more or less doable. 
    Couldn't agree more.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    Only time I ever turn down volume on single coils is exceptionally bright bridge pickup.  

I use either clean amp with two stages of overdrive or edge of breakup with a single stage. 
  • I have an amount of gain the amp  , and a tiny amount of gain on the pedal so I can turn my volume down to get my clean sound. Volume full up for a heavy sound. Tubescreamer for solo boost. 
    When I did need a mostly clean sound, with gain occasional, I’d use less gain on the amp, a bb preamp for heavy gain and a tubescreamer for the solo sound. Still fiddled with my volume on my guitar, tho 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2359
    Sporky said:

ditto
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    I generally set things with the guitar volume/tone on full, and to the very extreme (plus some) of what I'll need, then roll the volume/tone back to get my basic sound. 

Usually, as I generally play on my own at home, I don't need to jump from one sound to the other quickly. An exception would be something like nirvana style quiet/loud/quiet/loud rhythm. 

I usually use a looper and record a rhythm pattern with a little dirt then change settings for a suitable lead tone to play over it, generally with more dirt.

In short, I don't usually stomp in the middle of playing. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    edited July 2023
    When I was playing pub gigs I tended to have an overdrive pedal more as a different voice to the amp alone so I was still controlling level from the guitar. Guitar-pedal-amp is an interactive system that is affected by other variables, primarily how loud can you play, so there was always adjustment as I went along. Using an OD or any other pedal as a boost for solos assumes that all your other settings stay the same from gig to gig and/or that you have a decent soundcheck neither of which were true for many of the gigs I played. 

Edit: for home use I wasn't stomping on pedals and shouting "thank you Wembley" to the dog. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FezFez Frets: 472
    I use an overdrive so that I have two base sounds - clean and driven then a spark mini after the drive for solo boost.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I never use an overdrive pedal as a clean-ish boost, or a dirty boost, or to push the amp harder - I know a lot of people do all of those things but it just doesn't work for me - I always find it produces either harshness or mush, or an odd combination of the two. (I never use a clean boost to push the amp either.)

I use overdrive pedals to give overdrive, with the output level set at unity with the clean sound or very slightly above it, so that if used into a clean amp the result is crunch at the same volume in the mix. What's interesting is that used like that, the classic Tube Screamer/SD-1 type pedals work just as well into an overdriven amp - at least if not too heavily distorted - and even more remarkably still produce a volume boost, so you get both an alternate crunch sound and a solo sound from the same pedal settings.

I do use the guitar volume sometimes to give a slightly reduced amount of dirt or boost, but it's not really a major part of my sound/technique - apart from once I was in an unusual type of band for me, where for some reason it seemed to work perfectly to leave the pedal on all the time and control *everything* from the guitar. I don't know why, and I haven't done it again since.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 733
    I nearly always run my guitars with the volume knobs on 7-8, overdrives at a little more than unity gain, and then I use an LPB-1 for solos or parts that need to stand out more, and/or I roll the volume knob up to 10 for these parts. I don't understand why people have the guitar controls on 10 at all times. They're basically losing tweakability on the fly. 

The way I look at it, having the guitar volume at 8 means I always have a bit "more" if I need it at any time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    I too use a LPB-1 @ElectricXII which works as you describe on my Strat but my LP does not work as successfully as I prefer the mixed output. Then again I play at fairly low volume levels and don’t gig on six strings. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 665
    Live I tend to have the overdrive volume the same as my clean sound, rather than use it as a boost. Then adjust the volume on the guitar volume knob. For recording, anything goes really. 
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 486
    I always have an overdrive pedal on - usually have 2 different ones (one light, one a bit more crunchy) that also stack well so I have 3 sounds. I do adjust the guitar volume a bit but mainly I get different shades of drive for different parts of the song by playing harder or lighter. For a bit ‘more’ for any of the 3 base sounds I use the level control on my DMM. 

Currently my 2 overdrives for live work are the Duke of Tone (light drive) and a Gain Changer (crunchier). 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
    Live I tend to have the overdrive volume the same as my clean sound, rather than use it as a boost. Then adjust the volume on the guitar volume knob. For recording, anything goes really. 
    Me too - like many others posting, my "crunch" tone is at unity and the extra volume comes from the ES-5 or a Spark at the end of the chain. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    @TheBigDipper and @Fez, you both mention your use of a Spark at the end of the chain. Could you please elaborate as I am way out of the FX gear loop. Thanks. 

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    The humble DOD 250 is my overdrive of choice for a Fender style amp, at unity with a fair bit of gain. I will clean up with the volume control on the guitar despite what I said earlier