Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Inspiration needed for Pickups for a Squier Bullet Mustang - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Inspiration needed for Pickups for a Squier Bullet Mustang

What's Hot
In an effort to learn how to swap out pickups, wire up pots etc, I figured I could use a Squier Bullet Mustang I have lying around from when I thought one of my kids might pick up a guitar.

I don't really want the PAF sound as my Les Paul's more than cover that territory, just looking for some cheapish suggestions of fun, humbucker sized pickups I could try out in it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    You can usually buy Duncan Invaders quite cheap - they’re not ‘cool’ so don’t hold their value. One of those in the bridge would be a good start - they’re definitely a lot of fun :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 825
    Have a look at Tone Rider, superb pickups at ridiculously reasonable prices.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited July 2023
    What are the stock pickup specs? (DC Resistance and magnet formulation.) The Squier VM Jaguar HH had c. 8k neck and 16k bridge position humbuckers. It rocked.

Replacement pickups with four-conductor + shield output cable would lend thenselves to all sorts of smart alec custom wiring possibilities.

The Fender Mustang 90 is an interesting little guitar. You could emulate it using HB-sized P90s.

Oil City Pickups makes a pickup that amounts to a Telecaster bridge pickup in a humbucker format.

Tonerider, Iron Gear, Warman and Alegree Old Timer make pickups at prices proportional to the value of the guitar.

EDIT
    The Bullet Mustang body is on the skinny side. Its pickup cavities are only likely to accommodate humbuckers with short baseplate lugs.
    Be seeing you.