Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Using a SansAmp GT2 for recording? Questions. - Studio & Recording Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Using a SansAmp GT2 for recording? Questions.

What's Hot
I have a SansAmp GT2, which I use primarily with a headphone amp for practice. I mainly use the clean to slightly overdriven settings on it. I think I would like to use if for recording, just to lighten the load on the laptop and not use the amp sim plugins (which are decent, I have Amplitube and Klevgrand ones but would like to try this set up).
However, the SansAmp doesn't have reverb obviously. If I am to use a reverb pedal to mimic an amp in a room, should I place it after the SansAmp and then to interface?
Or could I use plugins, such as reverb or IR etc to give that room sound or a bit of width to the guitar sound coming in (still after the SansAmp)?
Or would it be best to place my pedalboard, including a reverb pedal, before the SansAmp and then to interface.
Also, should I place a compressor before or after the GT2?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I would use plugins. With Amplitube I put the amps in an amp closet and then add reverb afterwards as I find this gives the most satisfying sound. You'd effectively be doing the same by recording the GT2 dry and then adding reverb after.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    I would use plugins. With Amplitube I put the amps in an amp closet and then add reverb afterwards as I find this gives the most satisfying sound. You'd effectively be doing the same by recording the GT2 dry and then adding reverb after.
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is an amp closet? (A setting I am missing in Amplitube?)
    I could add valhalla reverb, or neunaber as a plugin and see. I also have Nadir IR impulse. I'll try those as well.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 868
    edited July 2023
    It might only be possible in the full version, but when you choose a cab for the amp you can then change the speakers, the mics, their position, and the type of room that the amp is in. Usually the amp will be in a 'studio' (small, mid, hall, etc.) situation, so there is a small amount of reverb treatment on what you think is a dry signal. One of the room settings is 'amp closet', and this puts it in a dead/soundproof box, so what you hear is only what comes out of the speaker. I then use the room reverb to tailor it to how I want it.

What version of Amplitube do you have?
    @victorludorum Ah I see. I have Amplitube 5, so will have a look around in the studio/room side of it. I am not sure if I have the "amp closet" setting, I assume I do!
    So I could put the SansAmp through amplitube (not using any amps or cabs), set it to "amp closet" and adjust room reverb?
  • I would think so, although I just stick with the amps in Amplitube as I find they are very good. I had a GT2 many years ago and currently own an Award JD-10. I personally find the amp models in Amplitube much better, so I keep it all in the box. I would think that if you are fixed on the idea of using the GT2, I would go direct into your DAW and then add reverb to suit. If you have Valhalla I can't believe you'd struggle to find a setting you'd like. If you're going for a 'spring tank' reverb, I'm not sure that Valhalla has those settings as I'm not a Valhalla user.

I use Amplitube 5 Max as they were blowing it out at $99 a little while ago. I was worried about option paralysis, but I've found models I like and I tend to stick with them to keep it as simple as possible.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    If you want the sound of natural reverberation in a room with an amp in it, you need to put the reverb after the Sansamp. If you want the sound of spring reverb in the amp, you want the reverb before the Sansamp (if it's simulating light break-up from an overdriven power amp, rather than high-gain preamp distortion).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ICBM said:
    If you want the sound of natural reverberation in a room with an amp in it, you need to put the reverb after the Sansamp. If you want the sound of spring reverb in the amp, you want the reverb before the Sansamp (if it's simulating light break-up from an overdriven power amp, rather than high-gain preamp distortion).
    Wise words. Thanks. I just want to mimic a room so will try the reverb after and a spring reverb before to test 
    @victorludorum ill have to set up my gear tomorrow and dive back in to amplitube. I also have. Softube which has way less options but also sounds good but is heavy on the laptop
  • Amplitube 5 can be heavy too, depending on what gear you use, but I find that some of the older amp models (Fender 57 Deluxe and the Hendrix models) all work well as long as you're not overloading them with effects. If you're just going for a dry signal, either clean or dirty, I find the amps alone do a good job.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LeisceoirLeisceoir Frets: 119

If your amp sim + reverb are using too much cpu you can always record a take with just the amp plugin, render it, put it onto a new track and then add reverb & other effects. 

My trading feedback thread
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Leisceoir said:

If your amp sim + reverb are using too much cpu you can always record a take with just the amp plugin, render it, put it onto a new track and then add reverb & other effects. 

Good thinking. Never thought of that!
  • Leisceoir said:

Good thinking. Never thought of that!

I had to do this for a while as my system was really struggling with Amplitube. It's a bit trickier, but workable.
    I tried the SansAmp with some plugins and it worked particularly well with the Neunaber Wet plugin and also a free one i’ve been using for years called Ambient Reverb by Stone Voices.
    I also disabled the amp and cab in Amplitube and used the rooms and it also worked well.
    I have a free plugin from shattered glass audio, a fender pro junior type head, and this also worked well into Amplitube with a cab enabled.
    But the SansAmp works well with some plugins. Content with that. 
    Might try and look at their other options, maybe something more Fender like.