Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). new strymon "mini" brig delay - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

new strymon "mini" brig delay

What's Hot

Comments

• koss59koss59 Frets: 779
    Very cool they’ve managed to shrink it down and keep tap tempo. The Brigadier is my favourite delay and I have it on both my boards but can’t see me selling to buy a smaller one.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • DoctorXDoctorX Frets: 291
    Does it lose the bucket loss control or will it be a secondary function? Will be interested to hear what the switch does.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markvmarkv Frets: 449
    "No longer available" on the Thomann page ... what happened there? Did Thomann jump the gun?

Love my Brigadier and this looks like a good update if you need the extra features, although I'm not sure I would
  • rickd2112arickd2112a Frets: 16
    Think Thomann jumped the gun. Apparently this pedal is due to be released later today (US time).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Tap tempo where you have to hold something first to activate it is next to useless. Aside from that it looks like a good update.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    With the full midi implementation I imagine itll sit nicely as a very controllable analogue style delay that isn't quite as expensive as the actually midi controlled analogues (dm101 ect).
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    Tap tempo where you have to hold something first to activate it is next to useless. Aside from that it looks like a good update.
    So you buy a MiniSwitch and still end up with something close to the footprint of the original ;)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    So you buy a MiniSwitch and still end up with something close to the footprint of the original ;)
    Yeah I had considered that! I guess if you have a bunch of stuff on tappable-MIDI clock then this would be a great option. But I don't (at least not yet..!) so I don't mind I think
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    I love that Thomann have taken it down but announced they don't have it with a photo!

Excellent work lads!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • rickd2112arickd2112a Frets: 16
    Think I will be happy to pickup a used Brigadier if some of those come onto the market.
    I see Andertons, GAK and PMT have removed the Brig from their sites. GAK had them on sale at 238.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 2587
    I love that Thomann have taken it down but announced they don't have it with a photo!

Excellent work lads!
    It's like Rhod Gilbert's egg & cress sandwich!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    https://www.strymon.net/product/brig/

Official page now up. Looks very appealing actually, and the multi delay line is super tempting!
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8409
    Does look great 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 8918
    Decent price point at £259
    It sounds glorious in the few demos I’ve watched, and love the feature set, enough but not too much. I’ll be first in the queue……..
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 985
    edited July 2023
    I absolutely love my cloudburst but this doesn't appeal as much for me personally. I wonder if a smaller El Capitan will be on the way...

A mini Lex would be brilliant.  You could easily get all the functionality into a little box like that. 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1927
    I absolutely love my cloudburst but this doesn't appeal as much for me personally. I wonder if a smaller El Capitan will be on the way...

A mini Lex would be brilliant.  You could easily get all the functionality into a little box like that. 
    I did wonder that too, 
    But they've only recently done the midi V2 el cap in normal enclosure 
    It sounds great in the videos, but other than the dual delay line thing, do you think it sounds significantly different or better than the original Brigadier?

It sounds about the same to me - which is to say, great, as I think that the Brigadier is brilliant anyway! - so my guess is that the first 2 algorithms are about the same but labelled differently.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3301
    Yawn. What an underwhelming launch.
    edited July 2023
    Shame they discontinued the big one though.

I liked the bucket loss knob - I get that the filter does some of it.

EDIT - what about the choices between simple, dotted etc ?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    Shame they discontinued the big one though.

I liked the bucket loss knob - I get that the filter does some of it.

EDIT - what about the choices between simple, dotted etc ?
    IIRC the Time knob does that in tap tempo mode.
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
    That's a bit of a faff for live use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    99% of these will never be used live hahaha
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603

99% of these will never be used live hahaha

I think it's being targeted for users as part of a MIDI set up or for man cave knob twiddling. People gigging down the Dog and Ducks of the world are a tiny part of the market these days. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 861
    Reverbs of the Flint and the Brigadier delay in one box would be my desert island pedal. 
    My Brig arrived yesterday and had a little bit of time with it. The three distinct modes (rather thank just time lengths) sets it apart from the Brigadier IMO.

I love the feature set, just the right controls with really usable ranges, the middle mode being “home” and a lovely delay that can stay out of the way, then go either slapback with mode 1 or, with the multi mode, an epic ambient wash. I really wanted a multi mode and considered some more convoluted delays to get it, but this one offers it in a far simpler package. The chorus only effect with the delay and feedback at zero is good enough to make me think about taking my TC SCF off the board and freeing up that space. There’s so many sounds in this little device it’ll take a while to explore, but so far I like, it would be hard to go back to my Walrus ARP-87, as good as that is, just because the 3 modes are more useful than the 4 in the ARP. 
  • guitarblasterguitarblaster Frets: 330
    edited July 2023
    Thanks for the impressions @dindude I’d really like to try one out for the multi mode - I use the dotted eighth and quarter note setting on my Starlight and I wonder if it would be similar. I’m a delay noob for sure. 

EDIT - just been learning more about it! Ok so it won’t be the same but I’d still like to try it!
    dindude said:
    My Brig arrived yesterday and had a little bit of time with it. The three distinct modes (rather thank just time lengths) sets it apart from the Brigadier IMO.

I love the feature set, just the right controls with really usable ranges, the middle mode being “home” and a lovely delay that can stay out of the way, then go either slapback with mode 1 or, with the multi mode, an epic ambient wash. I really wanted a multi mode and considered some more convoluted delays to get it, but this one offers it in a far simpler package. The chorus only effect with the delay and feedback at zero is good enough to make me think about taking my TC SCF off the board and freeing up that space. There’s so many sounds in this little device it’ll take a while to explore, but so far I like, it would be hard to go back to my Walrus ARP-87, as good as that is, just because the 3 modes are more useful than the 4 in the ARP. 
    Thanks for that review and thoughts Dan…

How are you finding it now after a few weeks?
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 861
    Also interested, is the 3rd setting as magical as the demos suggest, or a bit of a novelty? Can’t make up my mind to but one or get a used Brigadier. 
    Zoolooter said:
    Also interested, is the 3rd setting as magical as the demos suggest, or a bit of a novelty? Can’t make up my mind to but one or get a used Brigadier. 
    Ive had one arrive yesterday, and in the little time ive played with the Brig, it seems like a keeper. 

I think all of the v2 pedals sound superior, maybe its the jfet thingy.