Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Old amp signed by Jim marshall? Grill removal? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Old amp signed by Jim marshall? Grill removal?

What's Hot
ZonularZonular Frets: 61
edited July 2023 in Amps
So I've an old 30 watt marshall signed by the man himself, got it as a birthday present when I was still a teen.

Long story short the amp itself is quite janky at this point. The pots are in a bad way, volume jumps and gain channel turns off.

Should I remove the grill and mount it?
The Sig is fading at this point given the fact I lugged it round everywhere when I had people to jam with.

I'm mainly an acoustic player now, the amps tend to set off my tinnitus quite bad
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    I don't think it's worth bothering with unless it has sentimental value. Bin it or send the amp to Marshall itself for a service, may well cost you under £90 based on a member here's recent experience. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 61
    I'll have to check out that pricing so. It's sentimentally that has got.me to keep it all these years
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Sounds like there's not much wrong with it that cleaning or at worst replacing the pots won't fix. Which model is it, the Master Lead 30 or one of the Valvestates? They're all actually quite decent amps and worth keeping, especially if it has some historic value to you.

You could probably reduce the tinnitus factor with a better speaker, the stock ones tend to be on the harsh/shouty side of things.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ZonularZonular Frets: 61
    It's a mg30, think it's after valvestates, definitely a more budget/beginner amp.
    I remember looking at valvestates enviously.

That's a really interesting point on the speakers, I've moved on a decent chunk of gear as it was really getting me down. 
    Possibly should have asked before hand